It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 06:17

All times are UTC

Post subject: Placet Experiri
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 17:18 

almost antinomic experiments, no place for the establishment, double commitment.
condemned to perpetual shuttle movement between one edge and the other,
back and forth and dead-end and u-turn,
formed and deformed, chilled and heated, convulsive amphibious toys play in a tragic comedy.
tailoring as reversible device to make classic worship strange / make deviant behavior familiar...eventually boring.
curiosity like anatomical instruments, with eyeballs observing, despair incised, secrets extracted.
freedom realized through restraint in the iron maiden engraved with the word safe,
existential shock made visible in the midst of blindfolded escape,
everyday grotesques familiarized as social routines laid bare and exhibited relatively by the emergence of
something unusual, unexpected, uncanny - something scandalously similar to death,
depth-aesthetics unfolded in a disparate perspective.
spirit or life? useless or useful? neither but also both at once!
it's an amalgam of apollo's aberration and daedalus's aggression.
always allusive products; the murmur of them taking advantage of the confusion: ironic comments on wearers' body.
midnight at the other castel sant'angelo in italy, ccp srl.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Placet Experiri
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 17:23 

his labyrinth tour
in 2012, the oscillation from right to left - from ML to FM
in 2013, the transition further from left to right, traversing through a barrier-free (as opposed to dead-end) route. accessibility - what he calls permeability.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 17:26 

most nearly c.c.p. thread
an interlude until the removal to a new format

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 17:42 
porter

between yourself, benjamin and christian (who seems to have decided that forums were not to his tastes..), you hold most of the information on the subject, so i'm afraid the burden of the thread has really come down to you. though very much curious about the work's underpinnings (and a particular bit of writing accomplished between the lot of the aforementioned) I've relatively little personal experience with it.. but this thread has been a long time coming, much like the one concerning altieri's body of work and the broader implications thereof, a subject where i could probably contribute a good deal more than this one.

part of what had limited my interest in poell's work, perhaps aside from certain staple items where the visceral reaction is something like 'thats really sick, bro..', has been either directness of references or the general sense of there being references contained: the work is very much trying to communicate something, and it uses the more accessible and familiar to get its points across. in a different way and to a completely different effect than the romantic warmth and familiarity of harnden, but latching on to bits and pieces of what resides in the popular consciousness...

since you've mentioned it just now, what is the kircher connection? has carol constructed a a Katzenklavier in some remote italian village?

anyway, looking forward to more on this..

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 16:19 

I think they in france know all of it while I don't unfortunately.

as wylie sypher wrote "the alien vision" (literature and technology) around the time carol was born, this designer tries not to be too separated, not to be only into the industrial and the sartorial, or cold technism.
so he makes his work related to particles everyone might recognize, popular phenomena, social environment, psychology, mentality, behavior, etc...or all that disagreeably fleshly warmth.
and also part of why he basically produces anything from the collections, that is, still lets them participate.
on the other hand, in a way, altieri may be more about renunciation, like certain ascetics of india and tibet (pics below).

as for kircher, just that reflective traverse, the zigzag, between the opposite sides of masculine and feminine, whatever,
apart from such things as both being an anamorphosist, the director of the wunder kunstkammer, etc.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 16:32 

11 years ago I saw the pics he had sent to a store. there was his handwritten description of every piece the store had bought on the blank of each pic. it was a attentive job.

man at work

"semi-armhole"

please don't reproduce the images below outside of this thread thank you

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 21:18 
porter

thanks for sharing. i've seen bits of carol's sketches around over the years, but i recall that being something he seemed particularly uncomfortable about being shown in any sort of venue. if memory serves well, it was after his sketchbooks were stolen during that break-in? somehow wonder if there was any relation between that and 'traditional escape plan' presentation descending out of his atelier window.

were the stolen sketchbooks ever recovered? i wonder what became of them..

Attachment:
grossamtown-img450x600-1384097393ukclk038407.jpg

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 16:47 

I don't know about the stolen things' whereabouts, and not sure if the thief got the inspiration from the escape presentation though.

thinking of the mystery that once the whole delivery of cdiem was lost along with the truck, it's not like they would be very surprised at that kind of happening over there. I think carol is not that vulnerable, at heart.

Last edited by crouka on 13 Nov 2013, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 16:50 
porter

crouka wrote:
thinking of the mystery that once the whole delivery of cdiem was lost along with the truck

i have indeed been wondering where such a large back-stock of brand-new-in-box carpe footwear keeps appearing for sale from, in japan and elsewhere. perhaps somewhere out there, some is very quietly still producing 'old stock' carpe diem. :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 17:00 
machinist

Hope that was huge truck...) :twisted:

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 16:40 

although I don't know what stock you are referring to, wjk was allowed to do caterham type of business where part of the process was done somewhere around asakusa, in exchange of accepting tons of dead stock from lm.
apart from that, I'd say it is not that wonderful if lots of backstock true/original carpe footwear appear every now and then. I remember certain store had cancelled the whole delivery and returned it, around 2006. also the distributor of dries started a very nice store in 2003. it was mainly dedicated to altieri's work, with a little selection from a few other brands like alabama, sarti, ackermann. the manager was issei fujita and there he was explaining the boots he himself had painted a couple of months before. but it was gone only several months later together with a large stock.
there were some other brandnew things that suddenly got at a loss where to go that altieri's deracine nature happened to produce. someone, literally the biggest carpe buyer, once tried to help those things find their home, but even the occasion fell through at the last minute.

just to be more on topic or not
yellow boots will arrive soon or perhaps done already, for those minority who missed them last time

Last edited by crouka on 11 Jan 2015, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 20:02 
porter

yes, the handful who yearned these long years for the 'piss' colourway shall have their prayers answered. the current situation many retailers face could be affected by carol's forthcoming, long-rumoured return to form. indeed, it seems like one of those very few things that can help sustain that ever-dissipating momentum. altieri's own prophecised resurgence has been hinted at for years, and there have been some very earnest attempts but the endeavour nearly always seems an unlikely return on investment given the same things that have plagued its possibility before..

i know i'm straying from the thread subject again, but perhaps some of the photos taken during the recent preview (more footwear for the time being, at least the manufacturer is easy to deal with in that arrangement) will come to ever so slightly broader attention?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2013, 07:48 

today, in this saturation, an excellent designer could be someone who is able to provide customers with that ultimate (or initial) desire of "I want to want". in this regard, altieri seems to have been doing fine, moderately introducing this thirst and hunger itself, regardless of whether it's intentional or not.
on the other hand, I guess that's part of what made carol say it's better not to be a designer if one has to be truly creative.
maybe creativity for him hardly comes from making what they want nor what he himself wants.
it's make what nobody ever wants, in terms of his being creative and original.

are you referring to stuff at CdG or something else ?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2013, 15:46 
engineer

crouka, can you explain what you mean by this desire of "I want to want" in this context?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2013, 15:59 

take the second want as an intransitive verb.
with a sea of offering and in this market saturation that might make some of the customers continuously feel stuffed and as if there is not anything material they want especially, the ultimate thing they desire could be mere and pure thirst. like I want to feel like wanting something.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2013, 19:43 

Ah, thanks for explaining that, crouka.

Are you also saying Carol may have split his work into production (any colour, any size) and the truly creative, liberated from commercial constraints by the made to order business?

Does this risk diminishing his particular genius which married the two so well?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2013, 21:52 
porter

i don't think that this is what crouka is saying, rather that the creative wellspring from which carol's ideas flow tends to be the imagined contrary to its intrinsic/accepted/expected purpose on several levels. i would imagine that carol is not thrilled with so many shops carrying a very bare-bones selection of suiting, sneak/tornados and maybe a leather jacket, because much of that buying style sort of misses what i am perceiving to be his intention.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2013, 22:22 
engineer

crouka wrote:
take the second want as an intransitive verb.
with a sea of offering and in this market saturation that might make some of the customers continuously feel stuffed and as if there is not anything material they want especially, the ultimate thing they desire could be mere and pure thirst. like I want to feel like wanting something.

this is really an interesting idea. but don't you think that this wanting for wanting is also one of the core driving motors of consumerism as such, since every new satisfaction is only temporary. the hobby is "shopping", an abstract wish for this wishing, where the end product almost doesn't matter, as long as one got it for a "good price". it's a type of a game, in which obtaining as many "good deals" is the ultimate winning strategy.
i see that what you have in mind is something different, but then we need to specify it better, or at least distinguish it from this consumerist drive.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 04:48 
porter

"Transgression is to push the body to its own kinetic and reasonable limits, where it uncovers new limits, in an infinite procedure, that instead of liberating the body from its confines, imposes new limits that must be again transgressed"

found an article on Deepti Barth's "transgression" via patrick over at Le Paradox, and i've to wonder if any of you have more background on this project of Deepti's activity since parting ways. I think i remember seeing some images from it posted here or elsewhere at some point in the past..

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 17:21 

you're welcome bjorn
no, I'm not saying that. but that it might be hard for him to be truly creative and original as long as what he makes, whatever it may be, is what someone including himself wants.

rilu, how about this, todestrieb of consumerism. honestly I'd like to leave this homework to you if you see what's in my mind since you have great command of english while I have shady one unfortunately. but just to make it a bit clearer, I meant pure thirst as an object of desire. someone here wants nothing but thirst itself. maybe simply because someone or he and she would feel happy somehow when they have something they really want. it's like the last thing desire becoming its own goal finds. it would be driven by the knowledge of "something I really want". the quantity game might usually be driven by the ignorance of or ignoring it.

thanks for the material merz