It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 06:07

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Photography
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 06:44 

No Photographing - Timm Rautert

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 19:57 
porter

LaszloKovacs wrote:
Magnum and the Dying Art of Darkroom Printing

A few years ago, I had the pleasure of spending some time with Pablo Inirio, master darkroom printer at Magnum Photos in New York. I was thinking about that interview recently as I heard the news of Kodak’s bankruptcy and pondered the precarious status of “old media” like books, film and silver gelatin prints.

i wonder. i mean, in some ways things become more niche without necessarily losing the skill, dedication or pay scale. my exwife studied photography with an emphasis on photochemistry around the time when digital cameras were beginning to subsume film amongst professionals. she continued (and, last i heard, continues) to receive regular work dealing with very specific, archaic or unusual development methods.. and there is still quite a lot of enthusiasm in working with film within certain circles (like Yulia Kazban & mr. Panaef, whose work I had posted throughout this thread).. even such events as a major manufacturer announcing a stop in production of a particular type of stock that has sufficient following tend to see smaller manufacturers interested in capturing that market strive to meet the demand..

I guess there's a long conversation to be had on the way the changing medium is changing the craft, in the way people approach photography, but I'll leave it to someone more personally-involved in that field (like hlee) to chime in on that subject. all i can say is that there is a readily apparent difference not only in image quality but the photographs themselves.

the series hlee posted above were, i think, shot on film in the 70s..but it isn't the change in technology alone that gives them such a quality..or maybe i'm just talking out of my ass.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 14:27 

for me, and this is probably obvious, but what makes the series so 70s is the Kodachrome colours- I missed out generation-wise so I don't know much about the specific processes which makes the film stock so recognisable. If I were to make a guess, the major thing would be the shift from colours being edited in CMYK (colour gamut for prints) to RGB (colour gamut for screens). You can still edit photos in CMYK digitally and replicate the "kodachrome colours" but the process is I think a little more complicated and I don't know many people who do.

When it comes to quality I think its a matter of people learning to use the technology available and then synchronising that with the workflows of others, I mean a Leica is a Leica and a 40 megapixel camera is a 40 megapixel camera. its amazing the kinds of asstalk I've heard come from "art directors" who know absolutely nothing about the process of printing images, focusing only on online publishing. I remember reading an article about how pre-digital era, everyone had very distinct responsibilities when making images, the photographer would do this, developers that, printers this etc. but now cameras and printers and computer screens are accessible to everyone and its a free for all (both bad and good)

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 21:10 

I have the feeling that photography on film is now history for the general public and photography as memory for family, holidays, everyday use, sharing on social networks, but that it certainly isn't dead for artists.
What I find fascinating today is that now it's possible to mix both old and new techniques, with scanners with a crazy definition allowing the HD scans of traditionnal films so the artist can alter the picture on various softwares, or the possibility to do chromogenic print from a digital file with the Lambda system.
Not entierly related, but I was listening a radio podcast the other day about how technology shapes our perception of the world, and photography related technology is one of them. One of the example was that we don't look at the landscape the same way someone did two centuries ago while we think of the picture we're taking with our phone, for personal memory or to share on social networks. It's also fascinating to see how it shapes the eye of a photographer.
Does someone who were born at the photography on film era takes the same picture with a digital camera than someone born in an era of immediate, infinite digital pictures taken at every single moment of the day ?
Does someone born with digital camera and used to immediate images takes the same pictures with a film camera ?
I find this mixity of use very interesting both artistically and socially and I'm very curious to see what will be done in a few year.

--------Non related ---

Lewis Hine
Attachment:
lewis-hine-child-labor-just-wandered-in-1908.jpg

Attachment:
lewis-hine.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 22:34 
porter

Lumina wrote:
Not entierly related, but I was listening a radio podcast the other day about how technology shapes our perception of the world, and photography related technology is one of them. One of the example was that we don't look at the landscape the same way someone did two centuries ago while we think of the picture we're taking with our phone, for personal memory or to share on social networks. It's also fascinating to see how it shapes the eye of a photographer.
Does someone who were born at the photography on film era takes the same picture with a digital camera than someone born in an era of immediate, infinite digital pictures taken at every single moment of the day ?
Does someone born with digital camera and used to immediate images takes the same pictures with a film camera ?

saul leiter, cheers m.

Firstly, welcome. The pace is a little different here, but i hope this occasionally reflects in the content as well. What you brought up is entirely related, and I think it was more the gist of what i was trying to communicate than the technical quality of the photographs themselves. Good test case here, Prokudin-Gorsky's photography from 1890-1910s ethnographic survey of imperial russia. Taken in full rgb but half a century before it would have been feasible to print from them in the colour they captured, his images are remarkable not so much for technically being ahead of their time as for his ability to capture specific moments, subjects and the ineffable sentiment between. kind of more remarkable that he had no reliable means of showing these images as they were originally developed for an experimental projection system he had been working on. his slides were only properly imaged something like 15 years ago. This said to the effect of the role of captured image in our lives today being different and the fact reflected in the kind of an image that a man would take a hundred years ago, despite the final image's fidelity being up to par with technology that became commonplace nearly a century later..

But i still think there is (a much more niche) interest in treating the captured image differently from what one would expect of a phone cam snapshot, and the delegation of labour that hlee was talking about still exists to some extent, particularly when you're thinking of image as an object.. Anyway, more rambling. I just thought your observation was very much on point with respect to the changing role of image in our lives affecting the our process of capturing those images..

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 23:59 

I didn't know the work of Prokudin-Gorsky, the colors are quite incredible (and the costumes too by the way), I add some to the thread for those interested !
Thank you very much for the story, I really like the story of the pictures being seen as they should only recently, it's quite magic. It reminds me of what the japanese photographer Hiroshi Sugimoto did with the negatives of William Henry Fox Talbot. In both case, the photograph has something quite "ghostly", the trace of paper due to light, that the digital doesn't have anymore.

"Born into an aristocratic English family at the turn of the nineteenth century, William Henry Fox Talbot
(1800-1877) may have lacked talent for drawing, but he was destined to invent the negative-positive photographic process. His frustration at being unable to draw gave him the idea of constructing a “drawing machine,” a major invention suggested by observing an altogether commonplace phenomenon. While vacationing with his wife Constance at Lake Como in the fall of 1833, he noticed how the Italian sun burned his skin and realized that “sunlight works changes upon material substance.”
This simple observation suggested that he might be able to photosensitize paper with silver nitrate, a substance known to change properties when exposed to light. At first he merely transferred plant shapes directly onto photosensitive paper, but soon he began experimenting with putting the paper into a camera obscura. Naturally, his first attempts all yielded negatives, but even those surprising silhouettes sufficed to spur Fox Talbot’s curiosity. To look at Fox Talbot’s earliest experiments, the blurred and hazy images suffuse the excited anticipation of discovering how light could transfer the shape of things onto paper. Therein we may discern some ancient occult ritualistic aura, as if one could commune with the spirits of the dead. Starting from 1834, until he announced his calotype process in 1841, the more he perfected his technique, the better the picture quality becomes and the less mystical the images appear. It was only from the latter half of the 1840s that he succeeded in making positive images in any quantity.
I decided to collect Fox Talbot’s earliest negatives, from a time in photographic history very likely before positive images existed, and print the photographs that not even he saw. Most early Fox Talbot negatives languish in dark museum collection vaults, hidden from public view. Negatives predating any reliable method of fixing the image are
always in danger of changing if exposed to the slightest light. I, however, had to take that risk to return to the very origins of photography and see those first positive images for myself. With fear and trepidation, I set about this task like an archaeological explorer excavating an ancient dynastic tomb."

http://www.sugimotohiroshi.com/PhotoDrawing.html

Attachment:
hiroshi.preview.jpg

Attachment:
8d41f242cbcab4255f5483ab5b84e1e21b87daf0.jpg

Attachment:
Sugimoto_photogenic+drawing+after+Talbot.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 07:41 

thanks very much for the Prokudin-Gorsky mention, my mind has been blown to pieces and my crappy day made fantastic

I'll come back with more, just wanted to put that through for now

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 20:49 

Paul Nougé, Les oiseaux vous poursuivent

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 20:36 
porter

wet plate collodion, caleb churchill.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 14:54 

those last ones are lovely, merz. Will have to dig into that photographer's work further...

As to the changing role of photography, I think one area that is necessarily constrained, at least comparatively, from the extent of changes that have been borne out over the past decade and a half, is that of capturing the ephemeral. Many of my favorite photographic subjects rely on very transient light or atmospheric conditions, such that I only have the opportunity to snap one or two shots, which often don't turn out as I'd hoped. In these conditions, I am reminded of pre-digital days, and similar sensations. However, with the advent of HDR, even low light or technically challenging shots are made somewhat easier, although my jury is out as to how fond I am of the almost hallucinatory results such photos yield.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2013, 22:33 
porter

kristina lerner

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 17:28 
porter

following on the same train of thought it seems, Eric Rondepierre. he has a lot of work under his belt, so perhaps some of you can post your favourites besides this series, but this was the first of his work i had seen and it left a mark for some reason. reminds me of bill morrison's film editing work somewhat.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2013, 03:14 

[/img]Ive been exploring my nearby surroundings as of late. Abandoned buildings and towers hidden deep in the woods.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 07:44 
machinist

late night activities.
wife - looking for satellites
filthy assistant - looking for cats

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 12:35 

Hiroshi Hamaya

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2013, 07:19 

Václav Chochola

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 04:51 

Miyako Ishiuchi: Hiroshima
In 2007, Miyako Ishiuchi photographed clothing and personal items that belonged to people killed by the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, and that are part of the permanent holdings of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. Says Ishiuchi: "I found myself overwhelmed by the bright colors and textures of these high-quality clothes. Countless threads of time drift in the light, intersect and create fountains of memory."

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 07:53 
porter

s, good to have you on here at last. you'll notice i had done a botched job of uploading some of the things you have shared with me over the years and i'll try and organise/resize the stuff in the immediate future. hopefully you may share more of the rock mag/vanity things we've come to have a taste for in these parts, the few of us that frequent on a regular basis and know you to be the wellspring from which much of that material flows (unending gratitude..)

i was happy to see that the series you had linked to was to be found in print form. would very much like to own one in the near future - does the site you had linked ship to the US directly or will i be going through a proxy as per usual?

i've noticed a few more in the article that i wanted to leave in the thread for posterity and everyone's enjoyment..

Attachment:
miyako1.jpg

Attachment:
miyako3.jpg

Attachment:
miyako2.jpg

Attachment:
miyako4.jpg

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 02:23 

Japan Exposures ships worldwide, but they are located in Japan so you would have to pay somewhat high shipping costs. Beautiful book, isn't it?

My girlfriend gave me this great book on Japanese Photobooks for my birthday, so I'm on a real kick right now. I'll probably post more images from Japanese photographers soon.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 04:56 
porter

looking forward to it. i had made some effort to follow up on the conversation we had touching upon japanese photography. very much enjoyed what i remember seeing, though you have the books for many of the photographers in question an are able to provide scans. very exciting times indeed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next