It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 14:55

All times are UTC

Post subject: Photography
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 20:06 
french crew

Post photographic pictures you like, no thematic unity required.

Rinko Kawauchi

Ferrante Ferranti

Gerda Taro

Francesca Woodman

Guy Bourdin

Last edited by LaszloKovacs on 26 Jul 2013, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Photography
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 11:51 

ahh beautiful! I don't really look at and save pictures from the internet, but I'd love to share some of my own work here :)

[image]http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/hyunleee/2504a852-4f11-4726-b30c-07d79e3fd9a3_zps554b77c4.jpg[/image][image]http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/hyunleee/f25bea38-0d85-4188-bb81-5e63783d75a8_zpsd121a1c6.jpg[/image]
[image]http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/hyunleee/ea501cb6-0c51-4c0d-908b-1c99a0927b55_zpsf4028a4a.jpg[/image][image]http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/hyunleee/42f8343e-4dac-40ea-99dd-1ada55ee8ee3_zpsdbdfe708.jpg[/image]

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 16:09 
french crew

Those aren't random pics from the internet though, just pictures from photographers I like, I added their names on top of the pics, in case someone cares.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 06:43 

Pierre Gonnord

Bonus Yohji pic:

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 06:45 
french crew

Someone does.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 18:49 
porter

Yulia Kazban

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 07:36 

takehiko nakafuji

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 02:07 

some from the history books

source

fig. 40.—the head upon a plate

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 10:47 

*deleted*

Last edited by omen on 11 Nov 2016, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 18:20 
french crew

Eric Ravelo Los Intocables

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 21:16 

^ thanks for sharing. I haven't seen something like that done so well in a while. And continuing on the theme of the first image, this documentary might be of interest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSstCtWl54w

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 02:43 
porter

omen wrote:
the last 3 are awesome. gonna use them as inspiration. if you have more from this person please post?

The images i have taken come directly from Yulia Kazban's flickr account, which has been around for years and contains a pretty great repository of her images, some of which she has scaled down since - i imagine to prevent unathorised usage. I do also imagine that if you contact her and request to use some of the images (as i have before with her and some other russian photographers) the responses are generally favourable and personal. these are good people.

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 17:28 
french crew

rest-less wrote:
^ thanks for sharing. I haven't seen something like that done so well in a while. And continuing on the theme of the first image, this documentary might be of interest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSstCtWl54w

This is more publicity than art and the shots are proficient but hardly innovative, on the other hand, yeah, I appreciated how it was both effective, to the point and lacked the overly voyeuristic or narrative way these usually unfold.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 16:12 

Hopefully I can share some of my own photos as well here ? I had started by just shooting film, finally caved and went to digital system a year back or so. But I've recently picked up a couple rolls as I really miss it. Usually shoot with B&W c41 process which is fairly easy to develop in one's bathroom or wherever, but I still just go to the same studio for the sake of continuity. Plus I love scanning the negatives using those machines

A dark stairwell, shot many years ago. Minolta 7S, Vivitar 55mm UV-HAZE

❁ (◡‿◡)

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 16:40 
porter

any photography at all, and i'm very much fond of yours. (oh, but where's the thumbs-up emoticon?)

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2013, 20:06 

thanks q

since we can discuss the recording of light, i thought this may be somewhat relevant. perhaps there's a better location to post this, but the idea of the nature of color has been on my mind for some while.

Schrodinger stated,
Quote:
The sensation of color cannot be accounted for by the physicist's objective picture of light-waves. Could the physiologist account for it, if he had fuller knowledge than he has of the processes in the retina and the nervous processes set up by them in the optical nerve bundles and in the brain? I do not think so.

If we refer to Ramachandran's Qualia, he presents a thought experiment on visualization of color.
Quote:
If you, the colour blind superscientist, avoid that and take a cable made of neurons from X’s area V4 (Zeki, 1993) and connect it directly to the same area in your brain, then perhaps you’ll see colour after all (recall that the higher-level visual processing structures are intact in your brain). The connection has to bypass your eyes, since you don’t have the right cone cells, and go straight to the neurons in your brain without an intermediate translation. When X
says ‘red’, it doesn’t make any sense to you, because ‘red’ is a translation, and you don’t understand colour language, because you never had the relevant physiology and training which would allow you to understand it. But if you skip the translation and use a cable of neurons, so that the nerve impulses themselves go directly to the area,
then perhaps you’ll say, ‘Oh my God, I see what you mean.’ The possibility of this demolishes the philosophers’ argument (Kripke, 1980; Searle, 1980; 1992) that there is a barrier which is insurmountable. Notice that the same point applies to any instruments I might use to detect activity in your brain — the instrument’s output is a sort of translation of the events it is actually detecting.

http://www.ignaciodarnaude.com/espiritu ... Qualia.pdf

But then I get stuck on two issues.

1) imaging a photon, the same way one can image atoms, here using scanning electron microscopy. this uses a narrow beam of electrons with high energies (on order of 10 keV) that results in scattering blahblahblah

basically you can image using anything, electrons, light, toasters, just need to reconstruct an image based on how the beam of whatever you're firing is scattered which tells you about interactions with your sample.

i was trying to think of how you can image a photon. obviously when we see light we're absorbing it (therefore destroying it) and creating an electric potential, CNS, etc etc that's not important. how can you image a photon without destroying it ? i have no idea but the best i can do is imagine a dot:

. <-- a photon :-)

2) the color of light, which is nothing more than a consequence of our evolutionary adaptation to being able to different between, say, lions and baboons vs trees and berries in the african savannah back in the day. (ok obviously eyes, vision, photodetection, came much before but it's a more functional analogy, and also one that can help explain why quantum physics isn't as intuitive as classical, because if we were treating the lion as being in a superposition of states one of which is digesting us, that wouldn't do too well for escaping and proliferating!). so we see electromagnetic radiation, or a small fraction of the spectrum, as certain colors because of a wiring in the brain to process it as such. and so the blind superscientist uses the brain of another person to experience colors despite never having done so on his own before. but this is still using a brain, never mind whose. so what is a color in the reality that exists outside our perception through the brain ? no clue. probably just bunch of vibrational energy .... ???

Anyway, I got off topic focusing so much on light itself rather than capturing it (no pun intended...)

Sunset above the clouds, southwestern United States.
[Olympus OM-1n Rokinon MC, 2.8/28mm]

❁ (◡‿◡)

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2013, 21:03 
porter

alright, i need to write a proper reply to this in a few since you've invoked ramachandran. he has been part of many worthwhile conversations in this household.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2013, 05:20 

ralph gibson

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2013, 18:10 
porter

Esther Bubley

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 03:39 
french crew

Magnum and the Dying Art of Darkroom Printing

A few years ago, I had the pleasure of spending some time with Pablo Inirio, master darkroom printer at Magnum Photos in New York. I was thinking about that interview recently as I heard the news of Kodak’s bankruptcy and pondered the precarious status of “old media” like books, film and silver gelatin prints.

(continued in linked blog post):
http://theliteratelens.com/2012/02/17/m ... -printing/