It is currently 24 Aug 2017, 10:29

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2015, 04:10 

Hey understandable, no hard feelings. Hope looking does create the thread, as I've been looking forward to it since the moment he suggested it. Maybe a little impatient on my end.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2015, 21:21 

merz wrote:
possibly with less fat bastard references.

Hey!

Take it easy! :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 01:41 

Hi, thanks everyone for responding, I'm happy to see people are interested and I will make a post about the topic soon.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 09:02 

*deleted*

Last edited by omen on 11 Nov 2016, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015, 22:39 

Hey all, guess I'm back. Will try to catch up.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015, 23:07 
porter

how glad I am to hear this. Since our last conversation I have been very much looking forward to more information on what you had told me about. I've also been hoping to organise some performances of that work here in the very near future, along with other performances that are already set to happen towards the end of the year.

Welcome back, hoping to catch up on music and film and everything beside and in between..

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015, 23:15 

Thanks Q, will make a post about it.

Have been very slow on the project, but a close friend has written an entire monologue about Julius Eastman for theatre, 1 hour runtime roughly, which is phenomenal, we're working to promote it and get it performed as a single piece at the moment.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 16:13 
engineer

welcome back Rayuela! :)

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2016, 22:23 

hello,
briefly got aired here, then shut down,
i've a proposal for food thread called "gustatorial clusterfuckery" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2016, 22:26 

i promise never to mention mike myers

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2016, 00:53 
porter

yeah there was someone who brought that up once and i sort of wanted to hear what they'd talk about but am generally ambivalent (thats just me) because of a growing irritation i'm having with everything being presented as a 'lifestyle' quickly arriving to the point of caricature. its bad enough that the stream of social media turns into a wash of natural wines paired with foraged mushrooms you're chopping on a marble slab with your custom-forged knife, and .. i don't know. while i sound a bit resentful there, what it is is that the summary of daily practices that constitute living has become a series of performances before an audience. and, as with any performance, the thought of a spectator's presence is what makes it such, altering whatever happens there. I think there is a way to talk about this in a way that doesn't subtract from the subject and perhaps conveys matter of interest to the potential reader, but it seems like it carries the risk of becoming what i've just mentioned. heaven knows the internet boasts a healthy supply of that without us lot adding to the bulk. hopefully my thought hasn't taken a left turn here & can be followed somewhat.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2016, 01:24 
engineer

I think it's worth a trial, why not! I don't fear merz's points cause people hanging on this forum don't seem to have such inclinations so I think the thread could be as interesting as any other.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 14:02 

The line between sharing, connecting, and performance is so thin that sometimes it's just a matter of perspective. I say never mind what others do, that's so not DIY AF, live without objectives/intent, that's so inauthentic. Post first and moderate later. I would love a food thread and think it would be inherently more interesting than "lifestyle" content due to the unique personalities here.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 17:54 

Is there any interest in running a “live” outlet for less structured conversation? If we had an IRC channel on the side, for instance, it might be a means of hashing out What Works or What Doesn’t without clogging the forum through trial and error. Talking to someone in real time can be a more organic way of exploring ideas. Could help on the QC front, or just be a sandbox for its own sake.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 18:04 
porter

in my experience it has actually done the opposite from helping the sort of thing we've got. real meat and potatoes of conversation elsewhere sort of died out when the lot of us became fb friends and started using that as primary channel of direct communication. somewhat regrettably because while the conversations had been quite wonderful, there was little evidence of them for others to elaborate upon, draw something from..etc. I sort of see the point of what dudley is saying above, too, but think its possible to have an aversion to culture of over-sharing without some preoccupation with 'authenticity' that verges upon the pathological. small everyday tasks have, as with everything else, become a performance mindful of an audience. there is without doubt something worthwhile in the act of sharing but (i'm starting to sound like yesteryear's fissure here) maybe it can also diminish what is being shared sometimes..

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 18:52 
engineer

well, a chat-room in addition to the forum might be an interesting idea... don't know if it would water-down the forum threads, or boost them, this is so hard to predict because it very much depends on the group dynamics which we don't know unless we try :P

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 19:30 

The way I write posts and the way I chat are very different. It's the copy editor in me that feels a compulsion to write a certain way for anything "official." I am aware of how absurd that sounds for an Internet forum post, but that's just the way it is.

Side note, for the sake of any cross-forum travellers, could a mod change my username to DudleyGray to prevent confusion? I originally created this handle when I was content on lurking. Not a big deal otherwise, though.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 20:59 
engineer

^ is that an argument for or against a chat-room? Either way, we see you're just gonna be a troll there, notification received :lol: My main worry with chat-rooms is that they're incredible time-eaters, as many have probably experienced ;)

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 21:05 
porter

rilu wrote:
My main worry with chat-rooms is that they're incredible time-eaters, as many have probably experienced ;)

there is that, i'm more concerned with them not leaving the conversation there for all to see. most of us have direct means of contacting one another outside of this forum. hell, i've met many of you in person by now. its more the matter of discussions had in the present for someone else to chance upon in the (near or distant) future that I see some value in, someone being able to process the contents of a discussion and offer perspective of their own that may not have been available at the time of that discussion originally taking place. That worked out well, i feel, for some of those present here today in the way they had come upon past conversations and worthwhile thoughts shared in a more enduring manner.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 21:25 
engineer

You're too optimistic about the content of chats, merz :D I think that such a space would be more used for short-term ideas, and if there is anything relevant, it'd just be posted onto the forum... Other than that, I think it'd be different, like such channels often tend to be. Different topic-wise and dynamics-wise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next