It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 14:54

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Undercover
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 00:21 
engineer

Haha well i must admit that i'd be with you too if the clothes would have no appeal for me but would be a mere instruments for the presentation of this message. However, they do appeal to me! (I guess we are speaking of the most recent collection, though these older ones are beautiful too, even more special). They look like I imagine an interesting version of Molly from Gibson's Neuromancer to look like, and that whole context appeals to me, as cliche as it tends to get. Somehow I don't see it as a cliche here. There's something sharp about it (reminding me of Molly's razor-nails), but yet, not typically put in tight latex suits (those wide sportswear-like shirts are quite the opposite). I am not sure about all the text but I find it funny, and somehow it even fits! That's the best I can do to describe why I like this collection, without going into its possible "message" ;)

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 00:39 

i hear ya :) my visceral reaction to this was simply ehhh... well. then there's stuff like vonnegut, where again, i like the message but not so much the presentation. gibson is another author i'm rather cold on, too, so there could be some connection there. the text in this collection was probably ironic as you've said, but an ironic take on kitsch is still... kitsch... isn't it? "silence yourself" indeed. much better to say something against the kitsch, there's more than enough of it as it is. ignore it and say something meaningful... or, celebrate it, like thom browne makes me laugh sometimes (with him, not at him), even if he does little else for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 02:21 

rilu wrote:
ImageImage
Very compelling collection. I'm never much of a fan of text on clothing though, the pieces should speak for themselves. It kind of seemed like they picked the edgiest lyrics from the album, intensified by presenting them in the dark, but I guess it was because they're backlit. Kind of hard to take the final walk video seriously when all I could picture was the end to Oceans 11! But I really enjoyed the silhouettes formed by the lop-sided sleeves, and the use of asymmetrical use of sheer or that translucent plastic-looking fabric, especially in the pants. The wrist strap purses were also interesting.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 11:14 
engineer

Haha the end of Oceans 11 :D I still don't know what to think of UC's frequent referencing to pop-culture (before there were citation of Can, and what not, now Savages) except as a remark that this is where these clothes belong, to this context of pop culture. But yes, I agree about the silhouettes, the asymmetry and the fabrics.

Speaking of UC more generally, I have a couple of pieces from SS05 But Beautiful, which I'll try to snap properly and then maybe we could have some joint post on that collection... I'm sure there are many others who like that one a lot and who'd have what to say about it (more than I could).

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 00:30 

Pretty interesting collection. It brought forth images from John Carpenters "They Live" - massive sans-serif type that shouted subliminal messages at you. A parody of hidden meanings as a cliche.

Really liked idea of Molly wearing this stuff as well. I can't quite remember what she was said to wear in the book, but you can see her dressed - as a civilian - in this sort of thing, not really minding about sticking out because she sticks out regardless of what she wears.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 00:34 
engineer

Molly as a civilian, good idea :)

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 00:48 

Last edited by Tacet on 14 Feb 2016, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 18:17 

a suit he made for yukio nakagawa

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 18:24 
engineer

Ah that's from the same collection like my jacket, and has the same broken-mirrors-buttons! :) beautiful! i really like how this suit isn't overwhelmed with details (unlike other pieces from that collection), but it has just these two striking white "tears".