It is currently 25 Jun 2017, 12:00

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rick Owens
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 08:14 

F/W 2003

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 08:28 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 09:17 
porter

great photos. ran into her at the rosebowl flea market around that time, looking much the way the photographs here capture. that much for posting these, certainly putting things in perspective with the sort of material from the archives. i get a bit nostalgic looking at this because of the visceral, raw quality some of the clothes have had then that seems to have been subsumed by the glossy sheen of the fashion establishment since. its an understandable concession, perhaps even something readily embraced as part of different production facilities, production runs and, ultimately, a different audience.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 20:17 

just an evolution in personal vision. the underlying form has changed very little, tho i don't see the baroque paneling from some of the older collections so much these days.

i don't personally mind finished hems and the wear will get there by itself in time.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2014, 00:02 

i would claim that Rick Owens development from abandon to control goes hand in hand with a kind of quest for utopia, a vision and an idealism, which before was clouded by trauma and nihilism, but now has finally woken up from it, to leave the basement and to join the others for tea one floor up.
I remember first seeing his designs, in 2006 or so, and seeing the possibility for what was then indeed to come. I feel very closely connected to his universe in an almost dangerous way as I am a designer myself, and I will always have his work accompanying me through life.

Ultimately I think our work connects through our priority of grace. And I don't talk about grace in a christian sense, but rather grace in a perhaps zen way. Real grace demands compassion. It is ballet. It is clarity, and the transparency of a gesture. It is to execute something difficult with seeming ease. It is to maneuver a room full of people, and not collide with anyone. It is to paint a picture, and make the brushstroke invisible. That is the psychology I see behind the quality of the line Mr Owens employs, and it is the aspiration I have with my work.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2014, 04:05 
porter

hey, thanks for going into that bit of detail. being familiar with your past and more recent work, i was actually wondering for some time now what the relationship was, though haven't had the opportunity to ask. i think a lot of it also goes towards creating a new visual language/aesthetic vocabulary unburdened by the weight and implication of the past while still referencing some moments that have fallen by the wayside, affirming our collective need to periodically recall them.

i still have a place in my heart for his earlier work with all of its references to things that understandably make you uncomfortable, so when you speak of 'grace', i immediately know the visual emphasis you are trying to make in the way his work has continued to evolve in the recent 5 years or so.

what is interesting to me, from the perspective where the pursuit of an aesthetic identity and visual language to call your own, is the sheer time frame it has taken him to work things out. to cite these things and re-cite them over again. create a weight of his own past to ruminate upon and come out with what you're talking about. given a body of work spanning close to two decades, it is fair to say that very few of those in the industry, whether at its core or on the fringes, get the opportunity to spend that sort of time creating and coming to understand themselves through the act. seems that is only given to those able to insulate themselves from harsh business realities.

is today's landscape as fertile to newcomers seeking to do that as it was back when rick was finding his footing? which is to say, is there room to make mis-steps and keep going despite them? seeing folks like sruli rein in prospects of continuing to produce seasonal collections makes me wonder about this in part.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2014, 10:59 

merz wrote:
hey, thanks for going into that bit of detail. being familiar with your past and more recent work, i was actually wondering for some time now what the relationship was, though haven't had the opportunity to ask. i think a lot of it also goes towards creating a new visual language/aesthetic vocabulary unburdened by the weight and implication of the past while still referencing some moments that have fallen by the wayside, affirming our collective need to periodically recall them.

I find developing my work is like trying to take steps back in time. I'm constantly searching for that essence of what triggered me as a toddler, when I had no taught frames of reference or associations given to me. I already had a very strong opinion about what I liked and didn't like, and I believe it is this they call personal vision. The search for this is my way to not compete with other people, but to stay true to myself. I see this in Rick Owens work as well. I remember him saying that "it's all kind of already there" and that he's just untangling the ball of yarn, and lighting things in different angles. I see this way of thinking in direct opposition to someone like Dsquared of Miharayasuhiro who I would call remix designers or stylists. The actual content of each item is borrowed from somewhere else to them. They're playing with connotations alone.

merz wrote:
i still have a place in my heart for his earlier work with all of its references to things that understandably make you uncomfortable, so when you speak of 'grace', i immediately know the visual emphasis you are trying to make in the way his work has continued to evolve in the recent 5 years or so.

His earlier work doesn't make me uncomfortable, but it's more closely linked to a way of life I've never resonated with. I was never part of the "street life" or any kind of subculture. I was always immersed in art history and philosophy and politics in a more archetypal realm of reasoning alone at home where my background was unused paper and sharpened pencils rather than a highway overpass.

I also think that his first propositions with pre-distressed garments made a strong statement when he first started, but as that was bastardized and abused by many other designers, it showed just how hollow and fake it is to buy that fake commitment to a garment. I've liked it when it's been used to create an abstract texture, but not when it's presented as fake patina.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2014, 00:30 

~_~!!!

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 23:21 

mon capitan wrote:
Ok, I have looked at these photos three times, and I am still trying to figure out what is it that you all find so attractive in this collection? I suspect the "this is so much better than the men's" reactions coming from men have to do with the fact that you don't see this in terms of wearability at all. I don't know many women who'd want to look like a black michelin man, but maybe I am wrong. Yes, the ramones are a hit, but the rest? Hmmm. I would like some women to voice their opinion.

What business does a person have calling themselves a fashion critic, or bemoaning the state of fashion criticism, when their write up of a show is "I didn't like it!!" with a bunch of xtra words?

Moody is 100% Anteros-approved, my own wardrobe appropriated, coutureized and sold back to me, but now with the added bonus of historical-perspective via Scyhtian revivalism.

creme-filled danish wrote:
IMO... The proportions and silhouettes do nothing to flatter the female form. This comes off as sexless and sterile to me. And I would not want a woman I am dating to look like any of the looks in this show, nor does the clothing add to the attractiveness of a woman. It is almost as if Rick wanted to make the women sexless and unattractive, it all comes off as serving the same purpose as a burqa.

Where did this come from? It's actually totally sensual, flashing thighs and tall slits on the shorts. It's not really erotic, but I don't think Rick ever has been.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 23:36 

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 06:18 

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 08:46 

Anteros wrote:
Moody is 100% Anteros-approved, my own wardrobe appropriated, coutureized and sold back to me, but now with the added bonus of historical-perspective via Scyhtian revivalism.

moreover; I don't actually think Rick is secretly stalking my tumblr, saving my fit pics and Vocaloid reblogs but Moody is 100% what I am currently wearing and this isn't just a zeitgeist thing where we happened to watch the same films or something, it's just a moment where he decided to sensualize - and not eroticize, which is significant - the very same parts of the body that I am comfortable with, and he concealed and flattered parts that are bothering me, right now. Or, he just happened to do with this collection exactly what I am doing with my wardrobe and while there's always been a pretty sizeable amount of shared interest and experience that made his work particularly important to me above other designers, this collection is a personal stand out.

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 21:44 

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2014, 12:40 

terri-ann's boots, above ...

(mine now.)

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 17:01 

This is Nick, he keeps appearing in Rick's campaigns. He's the coolest.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 19:49 

come, have a seat

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 04:47 

gres moulting, spring 1999

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 04:49 

semi-sheared buffalo parka, fall 1998

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 02:04 

Attachment:
09-window.jpg

Attachment:
10-window.jpg

Attachment:
lam16.png

Before everything, there was this. “Lamy Men 1987,” a video for a collection designed by Rick Castro for Michele Lamy, shot and directed by Rick Castro, the patterns for the clothes all made by Rick Owens. The cast: “Tony Ward, Jim Smit, Max Bozeman, Leonard Ramos, Mario Melendez, Jason Greenwood, Sean Duggan, Peter Maguire, Nicolas Meschin, Jason Jones, Kayle Hilliard, aka Vaginal Davis, Glen Meadmore, Abel Villarreal, Craig Scdoris, Michi Tomimatsu, and Charles C. Hill. Eric Engler, Anne Crawford, Sue Choy and Rebecca Morales.”

A few hours of searching for this video after reading about it in an interview with Rick in Candy Magazine (picture 10) brought me to Rick Castro's website where these photos were hosted, and countless dead links to what I imagine was the original video posted on youtube in 2012 and since removed.

Here is a link to the Rick Castro website - http://www.rickcastro.com/mainpage.html

Here is the interview - https://www.rickowens.eu/en/interviews/ ... ck-michele

Here is the phantom link - http://danieljamesthawley.tumblr.com/po ... -lamy-1987

I know the video was shown in LA last at a theatre and was probably taken off youtube because someone may own the publishing rights. If anyone has any info I would absolutely love to see the video as well as any of photos or information about it.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 02:09 

Attachment:
01-window.jpg

Attachment:
05-window.jpg

Attachment:
03-window.jpg

Here are a few more photos from the set.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next