It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 06:23

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154  Next
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 04:15 
porter

splendidly behatted, t. wanted to thank you for the recent live cora recording - have been listening to roof in its wake and picturing some possibilities of picking up the double bass again to continue with the string abuse.

here is another photo with mostly the same thing as above. i've been wearing it a lot lately with no idea of what this jacket is - fissure found it someplace and the only thing i know it that it looks a bit like korean monk attire. seems to be made in korea as well..

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2017, 01:31 

The monk jacket is interesting––I'd expect the shoulders to be more dropped? Anyway, looks wonderful over the IS coat. Hope all have been well in these tumultuous few weeks.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 23:32 

merz wrote:
chance encounter with tomatous following a job downtown in an unusually cold and wet los angeles. first photos in a long time beyond the confines of trader joe's loo.

Was nice to finally meet you in person, Q! :P

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 05:48 
porter

likewise, and i feel a particular joy in having met so many people from this quiet corner of the internet. have recently completed my long-impending departure from social media and, music uploads aside, this is the only place i've decided to continue maintaining a presence in. for better or for worse..

more of the same with an added old luc jacket.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 11:45 

I was distraught when I realised I couldn't access your facebook account.

Part of my facebook ritual includes unfollowing someone immediately after we've become mutual friends- I think yours was the only one I didn't do that too since it was composed of almost only music (and fortunately not just from uuves) I found relatable.

I almost decided to send you a PM pleaing for access (your kchung features were too infrequent) to your facebook just for the music content but decided if you had unfriended me a PM wouldn't be enough.

Well anyway, just wanted to share my anguish a bit.

No pictures of me or anything I've made to post, maybe relieving.

Thanks,

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 22:26 

Hi all,

It's been a long time. I've missed this place!

I've been bogged down with too many things to post for a while, one of which has been settling into my little cottage, pictured below :)

It's great to see you all here and to find good discussions happening.

Here's a little snap.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 16:44 
porter

good to have you back - i'm hoping your appearances will become more frequent as they are always worthwhile.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2017, 08:37 

merz wrote:
does beauty ask something of the person experiencing it? is it possible to find beauty in an idea of something that does not possess clear 'visuals to engage with' ..? these questions may seem very odd to ask when speaking of something so solid, durable and functional as the idea of clothing, but they have been on my mind.

Beauty's been on my brain, too, since it was mentioned here. The idea that beauty inheres in an object, rather than the subject experiencing it in response to said object, seems incomprehensible. When you question whether beauty asks something of the person experiencing it, do you mean, rather, whether the person asks themselves about the beauty they find in the world? In my own experience, beauty doesn't ask, it thrills, it leaves you speechless. Like ecstasy, or joy. But many people do seem to seek answers in response to beauty, and the ensuing conversations can also be beautiful, or at the very least, interesting :)

As for the second question, music for example doesn't possess clear visuals to engage with, but you probably meant something else? What would produce a sensation of beauty that wasn't the direct result of a visual, aural, etc. sensation?

crouka wrote:
when we say something is beautiful, we would sense some difference there, as long as that is a kind of judgement.
probably there has to be the idea of the ugly at the same time. it is a condition of the beautiful even though the two were different like life and death. and it is what gives beauty depth.
or rather they are the alternative face of the same something, one side and the other of it. they could sometimes be dynamic in a revolving door way. thus, fair is foul and foul is fair. this conjunction is inescapable if for something to be created is for relation to be born. at least sooner or later if it is any exploration of beauty.

“The history of art is simply a history of getting rid of the ugly by entering into it, and using it. After all, the notion of something outside of us being ugly is not outside of us but inside of us. And that’s why I keep reiterating that we’re working with our minds. What we’re trying to do is to get them open so that we don’t see things as being ugly, or beautiful, but we see them just as they are.” -John Cage

Art history is full of zigzagging new movements where the old guard bitches about these new kids with their ugliness and ungainliness—not a few of Cage's reviewers, actually. In that sense, beauty is as much of a red herring as 'interest,' though narrower in scope, and therefore slightly, but only slightly, more useful as a description: "that sunset is beautiful' is nearly as much a throwaway adjective as "that sunset is interesting."

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2017, 12:17 

admitedly maybe i'm missing the point here but i can't help but always return to what michele lamy said about human interaction, where in her ideal universe everything would play out like a scene from Arabian Nights. Every experience is contextualised in a lounging narrative where events are only emphasised at the discretion of the speaker- little concern for mutual understanding (as if it were ever worthwhile to try and navigate that to begin with). Without question (as a baseline assumption), everything is cruxed by the beholder. And the maybe if we're lucky an audience member can find themself in that same feeling of the story.

That kind of concept as a modus operandi provides a freedom in a very "two ends of the candle burning" (vigor, fleeting) way nevertheless impinging the essence with more precision by sampling a specific population of cues, constructing pools, applying constraints (mapping a node). It may seem taxing but often there is little arguing/regret with a cathartic or humurous story, imparting a bit more.

Evidentally precious time is exhausted in this process compared to a snippy "beautiful" or "interesting"- however given the patience is present I don't think a whole hearted reminiscence can go amiss, depending on the competence of the teller (prerequisite: good at telling a story- intention is different from a salesman although employs the same technique for the same ).

Maybe here we can find some semblance between Michele's medium of choice and how Altieri chooses to interact with his audience in hopes of understanding (in direct contrast to Zizek's choice, something like respectful volunteered ambivalence).

A very painful way surfacing diatribe yet avoiding that whole "oh wow that's so beautiful/interesting/gorgeous/flavourofthemonth" redirect that's traumatised me.

uuhhhh- for those that care: i bought helmut lang corduroy pants the other day, much better than Haider could ever dream- they are excellent.

???

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 18:41 

MJRH wrote:
“The history of art is simply a history of getting rid of the ugly by entering into it, and using it. After all, the notion of something outside of us being ugly is not outside of us but inside of us. And that’s why I keep reiterating that we’re working with our minds. What we’re trying to do is to get them open so that we don’t see things as being ugly, or beautiful, but we see them just as they are.” -John Cage

Art history is full of zigzagging new movements where the old guard bitches about these new kids with their ugliness and ungainliness—not a few of Cage's reviewers, actually. In that sense, beauty is as much of a red herring as 'interest,' though narrower in scope, and therefore slightly, but only slightly, more useful as a description: "that sunset is beautiful' is nearly as much a throwaway adjective as "that sunset is interesting."

while I don't know about the context, john cage there sounds a bit like bataille ending up saying..... let's contemplate it silently with language put aside. but, at the same time, his ambition obviously lay in the verbalization of the silence. maybe part of the forum's ambition too lies in what starts with but, yet, still, nonetheless. to show things are what they are, by means of words which don't have to be "beautiful", "interesting", etc, of course. when descriptive language is helpless, for example haiku proper is a device for that.

though indeed "seeing things just as they are" is not easy in the first place. it is not easy to lay bare things.
the "starred sky" should have been there before.
but the soldier saw it as if it had been discovered suddenly.
he simply called it beautiful.
information produces signs.

slightness is important because it is often in such stuff that the most dramatic changes lurk. it's about minima moralia instead of magna moralia. when you hear someone say cdiem is just a workboot and that altieri did nothing, the statement betrays the person being a self-professed critic who understood nothing.
what there is between beautiful and interesting is what is to be developed later into the great distance between CdG and anrealage. from what they said in interviews, she ultimately aims at something beautiful while he wants to make something interesting. apart from how people find the results, I sometimes sense CdG smell like life or death while anrealage always feels like home appliance, good and yes interesting one, but also like another story of cinderella who has never lacked in anything. he winds up just showcasing technology and textile companys' achievements and staging that very well. I'd say he cannot leave any scars on the times as long as he is not trying to let what basho matsuo called fueki (or what baudelaire called the eternal) emerge, using those new ingredients.

arthur rackham from cinderella

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by crouka on 01 Mar 2017, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 23:54 

Image Image

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 23:36 
porter

have had little time to contribute of late but wanted to mention how much i have enjoyed crouka's post above and hope that i'll be able to provide some comments related to that line of thought in the immediate future.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2017, 07:43 

Found this picture of myself in my natural setting. Comfy clothes the day after dying and recovering from food poisoning.

The brewer at my work passed this t-shirt along to me recently and it has become one of I guess two band t-shirts that I wear. It's too big for me but fine with something over it and figure come summer, with the sleeves cut off, it will do for beach/camping wear. I have fully embraced island life.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2017, 17:45 
porter

island life! i feel like going over there for a bit sometime, I think - could use a break from this place & what it entails. remembering yer (diet butcher was it? made-up band shirts like bananars, and that one is nice too. i still wear the shadow ring shirt i printed years back, which i mercifully made some copies of for myself, else it would be falling apart now. i hear moon's been talking to you - he shared the piano stuff with me, which i very much enjoyed. hoping you'll record some things for us in due time. would honour me to have something of yours out on lvd.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017, 06:38 

I've been lurking recently but not posting much. Think the consistent heat is draining my motivation, + personal life is presently distracting. Would like to say, though, that I agree with much of what Crouka has written above on beauty. Reminds me of a comment I recently read on the way in which the highest artistic achievements of any society are recognisable as such to people from totally different traditions and languages... there is a sense in which beauty transcends its context and announces itself whether the beholder was intending/expecting to behold it or not (at least as long as they are not dead to all beauty in general)...

Tired of summer, I want the cold back. But at least I get to keep wearing this coat for the rest of the season.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 07:36 

crouka wrote:
MJRH wrote:

while I don't know about the context, john cage there sounds a bit like bataille ending up saying..... let's contemplate it silently with language put aside. but, at the same time, his ambition obviously lay in the verbalization of the silence. maybe part of the forum's ambition too lies in what starts with but, yet, still, nonetheless. to show things are what they are, by means of words which don't have to be "beautiful", "interesting", etc, of course. when descriptive language is helpless, for example haiku proper is a device for that.

though indeed "seeing things just as they are" is not easy in the first place. it is not easy to lay bare things.
the "starred sky" should have been there before.
but the soldier saw it as if it had been discovered suddenly.
he simply called it beautiful.

Bataille wrote:
An electric train enters the St. Lazare Station I am seated at a window inside. I separate myself from the weakness that sees this as insignificant in the immensity of the universe. If one lends the universe the value of a completed totality, it is possible, but if there is only a portion of the incomplete universe, each part has no less meaning than the whole. I would be ashamed to seek in ecstasy a truth that, raising me to the level of the completed universe, would deny meaning to the "train entering a station."

So if the train station is the allegedly ugly, the entire universe is the classical ideal of beauty. Laying bare often consists in not covering up in the first place, though: the beauty can be simply stripping away what you rightly call home appliance. The train is a sort of home appliance, but also, it's beautiful. When Cage says "[...]don’t see things as being ugly, or beautiful, but [...] see them just as they are," it echoes Bataille (and Blanchot's) intentional muddling of the concepts of speech and silence, train and universe.

But what I originally found beautiful in Cage's lines was the insistence that beauty is in the eye of the beholder (cf signature); there seems to be some insistence that beauty inheres in the object, which I quite, uh... object to? In other words, things are never ever "barren," that's like saying the universe somehow trumps the train. No matter how you see things that's just how they are. (Even if you disagree.)

fit magna caedes wrote:
there is a sense in which beauty transcends its context and announces itself whether the beholder was intending/expecting to behold it or not (at least as long as they are not dead to all beauty in general)...

Isn't this a tautology? How would somebody mired in a particular historical context know the beauty speaking to them from another context transcended their own? Unless you meant that beauty strikes even when you're least expecting it, in which case as one of the as-yet-undead, I'm a very, very happy victim thereof! OT: those are some seriously badass sunglasses, in fact... they're beautiful! ;-)

btw there are a surprising number of spray bottles in the last two pics :)

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 13:54 
porter

reading this early in the morning. sincerely lost it at "Bataille wrote:"

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 17:04 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 00:45 
engineer

FMC, that coat looks beautiful and i like the whole combination.
UnderCover dress i recently got, the main part is navy, the upper part around the shoulders is burgundy and the tiny straps are dark green. The cuffs are dirty pale pink satin. And it has white buttons all over the sleeves :) UC at its best!
Sorry for not taking part in the discussion, it sounds interesting as always, but I've been so busy with work! Enjoyed reading it though! :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 20:25 
porter

heh, if i didn't know it was you, i would've thought carla bozulich

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154  Next