It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 14:53

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3054 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153  Next
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 21:24 
engineer

:lol: i think you already once before compared me with her

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 00:22 
porter

did i? i don't know why that thought keeps coming up. her wedding was a couple of days ago. I'm trying to get her & devin sarno to do a record for me right now so I get to see her fairly often out here. I've been neglecting the place. maybe i'll manage to take some photos in the near future here are a couple of things from weeks past, but they're..fairly basic so far as I'm concerned. I kind of have a regular uniform that, while involving a good bit of clothing, is mostly the same pieces in different materials and colours (well, black and..grey)

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 18:41 

MJRH wrote:
crouka wrote:
MJRH wrote:
“The history of art is simply a history of getting rid of the ugly by entering into it, and using it. After all, the notion of something outside of us being ugly is not outside of us but inside of us. And that’s why I keep reiterating that we’re working with our minds. What we’re trying to do is to get them open so that we don’t see things as being ugly, or beautiful, but we see them just as they are.” -John Cage

while I don't know about the context, john cage there sounds a bit like bataille ending up saying..... let's contemplate it silently with language put aside. but, at the same time, his ambition obviously lay in the verbalization of the silence. maybe part of the forum's ambition too lies in what starts with but, yet, still, nonetheless. to show things are what they are, by means of words which don't have to be "beautiful", "interesting", etc, of course. when descriptive language is helpless, for example haiku proper is a device for that.

though indeed "seeing things just as they are" is not easy in the first place. it is not easy to lay bare things.
the "starred sky" should have been there before.
but the soldier saw it as if it had been discovered suddenly.
he simply called it beautiful.

Bataille wrote:
An electric train enters the St. Lazare Station I am seated at a window inside. I separate myself from the weakness that sees this as insignificant in the immensity of the universe. If one lends the universe the value of a completed totality, it is possible, but if there is only a portion of the incomplete universe, each part has no less meaning than the whole. I would be ashamed to seek in ecstasy a truth that, raising me to the level of the completed universe, would deny meaning to the "train entering a station."

So if the train station is the allegedly ugly, the entire universe is the classical ideal of beauty. Laying bare often consists in not covering up in the first place, though: the beauty can be simply stripping away what you rightly call home appliance. The train is a sort of home appliance, but also, it's beautiful. When Cage says "[...]don’t see things as being ugly, or beautiful, but [...] see them just as they are," it echoes Bataille (and Blanchot's) intentional muddling of the concepts of speech and silence, train and universe.

But what I originally found beautiful in Cage's lines was the insistence that beauty is in the eye of the beholder (cf signature); there seems to be some insistence that beauty inheres in the object, which I quite, uh... object to? In other words, things are never ever "barren," that's like saying the universe somehow trumps the train. No matter how you see things that's just how they are. (Even if you disagree.)

use consciousness as a networker between subject and object, like, in a way, the dagger in the flesh. consciousness, body, experience, participation, encounter, etc, these should be the area where outside is inside and inside is outside.
and you'll notice the object is much more subtle and more mysterious/profound than your idea of it.
I think this is the practical content of the quoted passage.

we can only perceive things through the subjective.
so there can be a beautiful flower. there is no such thing as floral beauty.
but first bear to see what inheres in the object that is blooming in our world of consciousness.
( even if it is a cockroach and you have not been a fan of it)
"what is this ??" is much better than "ah this is (for example) art".
this seems more like what he would say.

could beauty, I wondered, be as unbeautiful a thing as this?
from the temple of the golden pavilion / mishima yukio

perhaps subjectivity is some representation of something other, impersonal.....its behaviour similar to atom's say preference, its style, or even volition. this might be related to the fact that the most personal/particular perspective produces a work of art that can reach everyone.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 19:13 

on a bit different note, beauty is in the eye of the beholder strongly suggests visual despotism where the estrangement between knowing and experiencing/living is maximum. though in japan too beauty used to be personified and regarded as that which sees ( also psyche as a listener, lack of virtue as a talker, etc). someone like marx should have said something like love is on the tongue of the taster.
bataille was inside the train travelling into the space around the station.

the richest events occur long before the soul takes notice. and when we begin to open our eyes to the visible, we have long since committed ourselves to the invisible.
- gabriele d'annunzio

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2017, 19:37 
porter

has been a minute. linea/urst poplin/paper sack bomber

phone photos never do this stuff justice, but

and one more..

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017, 15:29 

MJRH wrote:
Isn't this a tautology? How would somebody mired in a particular historical context know the beauty speaking to them from another context transcended their own? Unless you meant that beauty strikes even when you're least expecting it, in which case as one of the as-yet-undead, I'm a very, very happy victim thereof! OT: those are some seriously badass sunglasses, in fact... they're beautiful! ;-)

Well, I'm not really sure how much context mires us to begin with... the exercise of intellectual enquiry begins with the attempt to become un-mired, and the kind of extreme mired-ness which modern historicism (perhaps since heidegger? Although also there in Collingwood...) regards as unavoidable is more a self-fulfilling pronouncement than any kind of deep wisdom about the human condition. If anything, what distinguishes human beings is how un-mired we are--we dance from one context to another. We entertain contexts as we see fit. Reality hits us in ways unavailable to the more finite beings, like rocks and trees.

Glasses are mykita x DD, kinda cool design, one piece of metal folded over to hold the lenses, and then no hinges (just sortof... bits of metal that click as you fold them? word escapes me entirely, too tired). Very, very light and comfy.

rilu wrote:
FMC, that coat looks beautiful and i like the whole combination.
UnderCover dress i recently got, the main part is navy, the upper part around the shoulders is burgundy and the tiny straps are dark green. The cuffs are dirty pale pink satin. And it has white buttons all over the sleeves :) UC at its best!
Sorry for not taking part in the discussion, it sounds interesting as always, but I've been so busy with work! Enjoyed reading it though! :)

this looks lovely. And thanks. It's Uma Wang, if I didn't mention. :)

Just finished a crazy three weeks of work, feeling a little like a punching bag. Perhaps that was why I defaulted to an outfit today that I might have worn five years ago? Newish CDiem backlaces that I finally got re-soled, plus very old MA_Julius pants from when Horikawa and I were both very different in our approaches than we are now.

These boots make me want to adapt a quote from Red Dwarf... "if you and the boots are in a burning building, the boots go first..."

And a bonus pic of me lecturing (well, marking a roll) that a student took and sent me. Wearing a Dries strap vest and something else I've forgotten. (There's also a pretty funny meme of me from another paparazzo shot with a joke in Chinese about how incomprehensible the topic is that I was covering, but might save that one.)

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2017, 10:49 
engineer

Great to see you in action, FMC :D Post that other one too!
Ah Uma Wang! I've never managed to see anything by her in person, but I'll keep on looking.

Here's Junya Watanabe accordion dress, you can stretch it or fold it as you like :)

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2017, 16:02 
porter

caterpillar dress more like! i remember this one - think mbd had one of these once.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2017, 17:34 
engineer

^ caterpillar indeed :) yes, i think MBD posted it before too!

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017, 00:36 
porter

with the frequency of her acquisitions &, er, de-accessions, i had even wondered if that one could have been the very same.

front view of the same paper sack bomber, which i'll probably keep wearing until the fibers crack through.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017, 09:01 

Merz: is it actually paper? hard to see the fabric.

Rilu: amazing dress. Uma makes lovely stuff, and I really like all the materials that I've handled from her. Kinda seems like she's recently been doing the kind of lux-fabrics that Ackermann *thinks* he's doing... (but that might just be bias on my part because I feel he's overhyped and his cuts [and prints] don't work for me :D )

This was my actual outfit the other day when I posted the boots, think I didn't post it cos it was washed out? But ah well:

Oh, and me wearing the same labcoat, from winter last year, taken by an unnamed student and then later forwarded to me. Walking off alongside a (blurred out) colleague:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 15:25 

Speaking of being mired in contexts – FMC, the shots of you in action are some of my favorites here, precisely for that reason.

It has been a while. The past couple months have been absolute insanity: moving, helping my mother move, wedding planning, a veterinary emergency (thankfully with a happy ending) – the list goes on. Finally things have settled a bit, and I’m hoping to contribute with some more regularity. From (somewhat) recently:

P.S. merz, I have a very precious package for you! I see you have fled FB. Can’t blame you. Message me so I can send old Ratra your way.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 01:02 
porter

FMC, the main material is shifu paper cloth, woven from the fibers of, i believe, the paper mullberry tree. the fibers are quite thick, somewhat resembling square-cut strands of pasta. its flexible, but holds shape quite well. it also offers next to no insulation, so this thing can be comfortably worn on a summer day over a shirt. to give you a better idea, the usual carpe linen over-shirt is several times warmer and heavier than the garment below, even after it has been fully lined with shirting poplin.

Have very much enjoyed your fits, and in particular the candid photos of you roaming about. The same goes for TWB- that lab in particular, very difficult to find something that fits in so precise a way. bonus image of fissure in a nearly floor-length wool lab, for which I also have to thank one of our members.

TWB: thank you so much! I had wanted to let at least some folks know about my imminent departure from the world of social media but it ended up being more of a frantic boulder dash than anything organised. I will be in touch!

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 08:05 

Merz, sounds like the perfect outerwear for summer there (or here!)--providing pockets and sun protection and letting through air. I've read about that kind of fabric before, I think... Did Linea/etc. use it much? Wish I could find a lab in a lighter or more breathable fabric/construction, mine tend to stay on the rack until winter comes round again. And the labs in linen from other designers (e.g. Attachment) don't appeal to me much.

TWB: Love those backzips, especially with a short-cut jacket, something kinda military there... like an antique soldier dyed black and then thrown through the wash a few times. Also glad the dear kitty is OK.

(Quitting social media, I know the urge... although I find instagram much, much less draining and time consuming than facebook.)

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 18:59 

Great to see everyone here. Merz, I'm more than a little jealous of that bomber, in particular the way the back curves outward––contrast with the above LM chesterfield, which is about as unembryonic as you can get.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 21:02 
porter

j, the outward curve of the back was a design decision deviating from the original pattern - something urst and I thought up - you can see that the poplin under-layer waistband is similar to some l'm jackets that used similar design element, but the cocoon shape of the back along with what turned out to be a kimono-like collar stance take it into different territory. i remember you being sort of skeptical about the bomber-like appearance initially, so perhaps these images have vindicated the idea in your mind somewhat. always a pleasure to see your contributions - the linea jacket in particular, the way it has shaped to you now makes me feel so glad that you have it after all the years it had languished unworn in my closet...

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 12:48 

A couple from this past week:

With the stress of moving/being uprooted, I've spent the past couple months reverting to absolute fundamentals... my daily wear has varied little. It's a conscious method of grounding myself in things that give comfort, and has extended into my listening habits as well, since music is very much my "true north" in terms of making sense of my life's narrative. As someone who grew up with and continues to obsess over pop music, the natural thing was to turn back to The Beatles. Thus began a subsequent hunt to "find my footing" (so to speak)...

(on Paul, probably 1963 or '64)

(a pair of George's boots that were auctioned off for something like 80k USD)

The boots I'm wearing are vintage Helmut Lang, sort of a halfway point between the real thing, pictured above, and what I personally needed out of that type of footwear -- a more wedge-like heel and shorter shaft, that would fit better under skinny jeans. The zippers are on the back instead of the side, and the characteristic seam down the front of the upper is missing. But the silhouette is undeniable.

At some point, the pointed toe fell out of fashion and was replaced by a chisel toe; apparently, the kids accommodated this by bringing their old pointed shoes to the cobbler and having the tips lopped off!

PostPosted: 16 May 2017, 16:16 

Some more nonsense.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 08:38 

Comme Hakamas

(together with blurriness and stupid facial expression, because this particular photo got taken by accident :D )

PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 19:49 

Those hakamas are crazy. What are your thoughts on Pier Wu? I remember really liking her stuff a few years ago, but it's fallen off my radar since. Anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3054 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153  Next