It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 20:26

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: member introductions
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014, 03:49 

merz wrote:
fit magna caedes wrote:
suburban middle-class--polite until faced with such dangerous notions as Marx, eros, or indefinite gender.

can't frame everything as a stick in the eye of bourgeois conformity. well, you can but it gets kind of boring. I am also not sure I can imagine an existence that isn't in some way curated, which is to say that this conversation we're having here right now is shaping the conversation to follow. I think it was fuuma that once said how the tone of the place will ultimately be dictated by the sort of people that end up populating it and contributing content..and the direction resulting from that presents, yes, curated content to those first encountering it.. weirdly even places like 4ch that strive to efface individual identity somehow end up their own flavour of curated presentation. convinced that the absence of curation is the absence of man to give anything context.

Oh, true, I just travel through the suburbs three times a week at the moment to get into the city, and it depresses me. It's an immediate felt thing with me right now. But yes, of course, as you say. The Bourgeoisie is not to blame for everything (or anything really, they/we are as much a creation of larger systems as anyone else).

As to curation: yes, to some extent everything is determined. But there is a difference between an artist responding to things/events/relations (choose whichever your ontology prefers) and a curator attempting to fit these organic responses into a package (usually a saleable one), rationalising the chaotic and the fertile into a particular bounded space from which it cannot escape. Taxidermists of ideas; entomologists pinning down living subjects onto boards, drowning them in formaldehyde so that they may be categorised. Yes, there are better and worse forms of curation, but in the end it's like better and worse forms of kingship--eventually the monarchy always goes sour, and starts killing what it was meant to preserve.

So... if there must be a determining, a collapse of infinite freedom into a fallen particularity, then let it at least be a democratic determining.

(Or the alternative punchline: quis curabit ipsos curatores?--who shall arrange the curators?)

tg76 wrote:
seems like an appropriate time to introduce myself
hi
im old
i stayed in art school
and fashion school
and post grad teacher school
i live in the southern earth bowl
i spent the last week wearing trackpants and a bush shirt
i have a grey cat called saige, sausage for short
she redeems all my bads

I too am old
and a graduate several times over
And this is my cat
he is fat and demanding and scarred from fights

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014, 05:52 

hi ginger cat, you have lovely whiskers

im in the early stages of education lust again after visiting a few product design and fashion schools this year with my students, would love to do my masters in product focusing on fashion, or just fashion, maybe textiles, but my current lifestyle is too comfy, those pangs are gonna have to get a hell of a lot stronger.

the whole pigeon holing and cataloging thing is part of the reason i dont actively post on forums anymore, i seem to have a split fashion personality between grown up goth, sneaker freak and denim bro, all mooshed together with the main tie being comfort and quality. which is most probably the direct influence of being a teen in the days when, goth, punk, grunge, blah, blah, turned into 'alternative' , and well lost my train of thought as ive been using spray paint in the sun for a few hours.

nice cat.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 18:09 

my name's pei and i'm an 18 year old student studying performance art, video, and slowly getting into fashion

joined unwoven cause i'm curious to what it's like and i feel that the community here would help me gravitate to what i want to dress like

i love clothes and i hope to make them one day

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 20:11 
engineer

welcome! : )

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 00:53 
porter

Pei, welcome. We've been having a bit of a holiday slowdown out here but its good to have you.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 20:18 

thank you for the welcome, rilu and merz! (੭ु´͈ ᐜ `͈)੭ु⁾⁾

merz, so i'm guessing that the forums would be faster later in the year? either way, content is always better when you have to wait for it!
the suspension is killin' me.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 21:26 

Hey, I'm some guy. I study fashion design at prestigious LA Trade-Tech. I like to play bass. I'm interested in a lot of the stuff people talk about here, so I'll talk about it sometimes too.

Mahalo

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 22:20 

[ ]

Last edited by Anteros on 10 Aug 2015, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 23:20 

LATTC fam. I like it a lot there, great teachers, pretty rigorous. Dang tho, no one tries. I haven't gotten very far at all, but I swear 99% of people don't make it through any one class. The students there are funny.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 23:24 

[ ]

Last edited by Anteros on 10 Aug 2015, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 23:42 

Just sewing and drawing, very beginning. Took some other things to max out semester credits. You?

I respect other people's journey, a lot of these people are still finding themselves and whatnot, but it's funny to see people talking about owning their own house and they are flipping the table over sewing zippers. It's always somehow the teacher's fault, as well! I'm thankful about people being so flaky, though, because I learned as long as I show up I'll get into a class no matter how full it is.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 00:23 

[ ]

Last edited by Anteros on 10 Aug 2015, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 01:31 

Cool, thanks.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2015, 22:44 

Hello! I was introduced to this forum by excelsiom, who suggested I join. My name is Marisa, I am a tabletop rpg enthusiast, environmental science grad (with a focus in urban and invasive species ecology), and currently working in nonprofit admin. I am gradually nursing an interest in fashion, and trying to move beyond my longstanding motive of simply accumulating More Stuff in the interest owning Better Stuff. It's a slow but rewarding learning process.

Just browsing the posts here has given me so much to think on, and I look forward to being a part of the community!

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2015, 22:50 
engineer

hey, welcome! :)

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2015, 06:35 

Hello. I've been sporadically watching unwvn's progression for a year or more now and have been shoved out of my comfortable shadows by one excelsiom. I'm a technical garment design student living in New York most of the time. I also like Japanese underground fashion/music/culture. I'm tumblr user 'sartorsum'– I know a few of you, and anticipate getting to know more of you.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2015, 07:47 
engineer

welcome! :)

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2015, 14:24 

hullo kobalos,

what is japanese "underground" fashion? (is it super secret and dark?)
I happen to be in japan at the moment, would it be worth checking out in some way while I'm here?

and welcome etc.etc. !

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2015, 15:19 

hlee wrote:
hullo kobalos,
what is japanese "underground" fashion? (is it super secret and dark?)
I happen to be in japan at the moment, would it be worth checking out in some way while I'm here?

Oh, it's immensely secret and dark. No, I'm using that as a catch-all term in lieu of "alternative", a word I find to be only slightly more rhetorically grating. I do recommend the Kitakore building in Koenji– their shops represent a good sampling of Japan's young, independent, oddball designers. A purchase from the shop on the first floor, Hayatochiri, is usually an investment in the work of a single individual.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2015, 06:06 

thanks kobalos i'll definitely check it out! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next