It is currently 24 Aug 2017, 10:28

All times are UTC

Post subject: Imagination Land
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2014, 04:46 

yo i havent posted in a long time, but i had a thread idea that might be neat.
most of the fashion communities i go to i see a lot of stagnation and lack of imagination. i think that's pretty lame. a lot of people get so caught up trying to impress a group of people that they stop thinking for themselves and listening to all the things going on in their own minds.

so this thread is about experiments, plans, ideas etc you'd like to try out or see in the real world.
i'll start off with some sketches and stuff, these are mostly clothes i'd want to make or ideas for garments i wanted to get down.

feel free to post anything that your mind has cooked up, no wrong answers. an image you saw that just made you think, "inspo" of anything that has an element you feel would be awesome if appropriated into clothing or anything really, a fit pic of playing dress up to see how something looked, even just an idea you had and wanted to jot down that doesnt really relate to anything. you never know what could inspire someone or spark an idea or be the missing piece for someone's elses thoughts. doesnt have to be visual (i've just been focusing on that because i'm largely a visual thinker)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Imagination Land
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2014, 16:25 
porter

I'd rather talk about it than participate in yet another image dump thread, collective tumblr moodboard bullshit. oh hey, general inspo thread, you go girl! haven't we been there before? Seems like there are a bunch of new folks arriving who want to make designer-specific threads consisting of content from other places to no particular end, and I just feel it being kind of a waste. When something is already being discussed elsewhere in detail, is there any point in just.. doing the same thing somewhere else all over again? I suppose results may vary, but still.. Anyway, general inspo 'dump yer shit here' is easy. and lazy. And ultimately just another place to curate pre-existing content. There are so many venues for that these days that it seems kind of meaningless.. The part of this place that I had wanted to foster since its inception has been more in the way of original content and, yeah, some of that comes out of us just talking about things without giving the conversation particular significance.. but more 'dump ye content from elsewhere here!' threads seems like a step in the other direction. So i hope people actually write here as well.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2014, 19:58 

I completely agree. The inspo I had in mind was more like, for an example, a picture of a whale and an explanation of how the rhythm and force of lines in the form are beautiful and could be incorporated into something like so.
I want discussion, I dont want a bunch of images we've all seen before with no attempt to make that visual information usable. if we discuss we can connect.
Like I said I focused on images because images are what speak to me but they aren't any good without context or purpose.
to give a better example in the top post second attachment far right guy I was taking inspiration from modern body armor

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2014, 20:06 

I may be wrong, but what you're trying to make in this thread is essentially the purpose of the "things that quicken the heart thread". Granted it seems that thread has somewhat evolved to an image dump without explanation of why those posts are inspiring and relate to what we're gaining from their existance. I'm guilty of that myself on that thread. Try posting in there. I'll try to add some more discussion to the next time I make a contribution to it.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2014, 20:10 

Senpai wrote:
without explanation of why those posts are inspiring and relate to what we're gaining from their existance.

Would defeat the purpose I feel. If you want an explanation or source, just google the image. Why would I tell you what I get out of the stuff I post? It's much more natural to make up your own thoughts instead of walking alongside someone elses projections

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2014, 20:15 

I wanted to make a thread with more focus. To post your own experimental outfits or things youd like to try. For some reason inspo pics got singled out (I think inspo has gotten a huge stigma and although I can see why I just have a completely different conception of it), to post concepts or forms you think would be awesome if turned into garments, things like that
up to the group if the thread is superfluous or not, up to you guys. I just think itd be nice to have a spot to sound ideas off each other with specifically clothing mind

Eta: this thread should be about designing and creating. All "inspo" should serve that purpose. Whereas the quicken the heart thread has no set endgoal besides better heart health

Last edited by cheease on 05 Jul 2014, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2014, 20:18 

cheease, i've told you this before, i'm really interested in the way you're choosing to render your garments. i would care to hear you expand on where they are coming from, as in, proof of concept. the body armor, yes, but why? why no armscyes anywhere? i know you also make most of your own clothes. is this because you're looking for something no one else has deigned to supply? can you tell me what that is?

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2014, 20:42 

one of the things my illustration teacher harped on (to the other students because i am amazing and do everything right) is the need to represent your fitting techniques. for example, the fabrication of the last jacket is certainly feasible, but it's not going to fit like that unless you either use a separate sleeve or gusset a close fitting cut-on sleeve. if you hand this to me, as a pattern drafter, i'm going to have to waste time confirming with you what it is you want or else turn in a jacket with massive, billowing undersleeves that you apparently were not attempting to render.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2014, 21:08 

Excelsiom: Ill start off with the fact that I have no training of any kind. Ive never taken a pattern class or anything, Ive drawn and painted for quite a while but I really haven't had any formal training with that either. When I draw clothes im not really concerned with construction, im just concerned with how it looks. If I decide to make it later ill figure out the pattern work then and the design of the piece will usually evolve with that process.
I also do not make most of my clothes haha. I want to be able to say that eventually but for now ive only made a couple items from scratch and altered existing ones. i got into making clothes because its fun. A bit of it is because I want to make stuff I cant find anywhere else, but its also money, satisfaction from wearing your own creation...
As far as a mission statement it really isnt more complex than I want to make cool stuff

Ante: we talked a bit about my drawing before and like I said then, these are all for me and im making the patterns. But yeah I would have the sleeve in two sections, the second one being close fitting and elastic and maybe have another tighter elastic strip above the elbow to keep it placed right while allowing some piling on the upper section. As I said I figure out the construction if I actually start to make the item.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2014, 01:03 

Right now im feeling very antsy. Its that inspired kind of anxiety where I want draw and design something neat and I have ideas roiling around in my head but cant quite express them. Normally I'd go look for photos or watch a movie but im at work and I dont want to get bogged down in tropes anyway. Right now im obsessed with the used future aesthetics of those 70s and 80s movies. I feel like we've expanded so much since then and have so many new things to incorporate into that visual library, things that have largely gone untapped.

All the clothing in alien did so much to heighten the loneliness and coldness of the entire film. Even the opening sequence and the scene of the crew sitting around having breakfast and smoking joints you look at it and it looks like the logical conclusion of the way an average jaded isolated person today dresses.

I want to make clothes for me (and others eventually) to be at home in. Stuff that can amplify a certain tone.
I want to capture natures truth and mans futile and idealized struggle to remain ignorant or to stay contrary to it.

Drawing almost seems easy next to making clothing. In a drawing or painting I only have to capture rhythm once. Agarment must look beautiful and true in a hundred different poses.

So im feeling antsy.

What's making your imagination struggle?

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2014, 05:11 

all my doodles look too much like rick