It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 11:10

All times are UTC

Post subject: The T-shirt
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 04:55 

Been thinking on this a lot lately, so here's a thread for the closet fixture each and every one of us owns. A canvas for many things: a picture, a phrase, an indication of where one is going (or where one has been), things adored, things despised, a joke, a provocation, a message of individuality, a message of community. Nothing speaks more loudly or clearly than the t-shirt... maybe this is why it pains me so to see one blank. I could never do it.

I'll start things off with some of my favorites.

Afghan Whigs tour shirt, circa 1990

Helmut Lang Felix the Cat t-shirt, 2003 (I believe). A shame he never made a t-shirt with the Master Cylinder...

Jurassic Park t-shirt, circa 1993

Prince "Parade" tour shirt, 1986

Raf Simons t-shirt (not sure of the year)

Undercoverism "Ratra" t-shirt, 2012(?)

Post subject: Re: The T-shirt
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 10:36 

voltbird wrote:
Been thinking on this a lot lately, so here's a thread for the closet fixture each and every one of us owns. A canvas for many things: a picture, a phrase, an indication of where one is going (or where one has been), things adored, things despised, a joke, a provocation, a message of individuality, a message of community. Nothing speaks more loudly or clearly than the t-shirt... maybe this is why it pains me so to see one blank. I could never do it.

I own maybe three tees with anything on them, and only at home/to bed--Darkthrone tee, Wounded Kings tee, and a tee for a band I won't name since the lead's heroin addiction turned him into an asshole who steals from his friends/fans/family.

Only tees I wear out regularly are plain and black (maybe one or two grey). I'm the complete opposite: for me the printed tee is TOO loud, it says too much. But then I was wearing Peir Wu today (super minimal), so maybe am fated for some dark (pardon the pun) road of ultra-minimalism.

I may still buy a printed Harnden shirt at some stage though... :oops:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 16:39 
porter

do you actually own the ratra, because I would start offering you absurd money for it. i am... very fond of that rat.

the thread is making me think back to earlier such episodes on sz, and there were people participating at the time that had some interesting selections. i've always worn a lot of band tees so that has somehow persisted, but there are a few i'm especially fond of. i've also printed some over the years when I felt that something needed to exist that, for whatever reason, didn't just yet..

this one is my favourite so far (thanks rostov..)

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 18:07 

couln't find any pic of it but if I remember rightly the t-shirt version of this summer sweater was something.

junya man

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 20:37 

I wish! I'm quite fond of that rat myself.

Quote:
I felt that something needed to exist that, for whatever reason, didn't just yet..

I know this feeling well, as I used to make my own t-shirts as a teenager. It seemed for me that the most obvious and direct route to conjure "existence" in an empty wardrobe space was to turn to the t-shirt. I'm sure I had practical reasons for doing so as well, since they were cheap and readily available, but there was always the acknowledgement that This Was The Way To Do It. No other mediums came to mind in my 14-year-old skull, and so I look at a t-shirt with a nostalgic fondness that is incomparable to any other type of garment.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2015, 19:01 

ann demeulemeester FW 2003

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2015, 21:59 

merz - do you own that shadow ring tee? might have to make something similar myself..

yy s/s08

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2015, 22:23 
porter

I made it. Its something of an unofficial unwoven t-shirt because several of my closest associates received one.
Due to the reaction this received from a certain former member of that band, I don't think i'll be making any more of that design, but I am very likely to produce one from 'put the music in its coffin' LP cover.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2015, 22:55 

there was another one from lang, in addition to these, around the same time, in a sort of repellent fleshy color, with a big gray ink stain on the front like paper sloughing off ... no good images of it.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2015, 17:13 

it maybe too abstracted to appear like the images below though it's cherry blossoms.
I still have a white/pink and grey version.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2015, 07:00 

margiela

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015, 21:20 

Lucky me, it's finally in my possession. A men's XL and riddled with holes, and stains that may very well be blood, but is there any better way for a band t-shirt to be? Probably not.

Some others that bring me joy: