It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 06:25

All times are UTC

Post subject: All You Need is Love
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2016, 03:11 

A thread for engagement and/or wedding rings.

The former is as thorny a subject as we may get here. Fundamentally ugly in both symbolic origin and industrial execution for something so beautiful. I hope that my generation will mark a turning point in the tradition, maybe something antithetical to what De Beers did just after the Second World War. For diamonds, the option of lab-grown gems has arrived, including the ensuing debate on whether these are "real" diamonds (since molecular structure is not, itself, apparently enough). Meanwhile, unconventional alternatives are increasingly popular with Millennials, from diamond-look-alike Moissanite to raw or rough-cut precious gems. We may be watching the pendulum swing away from the 4Cs into a territory where custom design is more important than the sheer weight of the rock.

Of course, if my fiancé tells me tomorrow, "Never mind our designer," and presents me with a Harry Winston the size of Jupiter, I'm not sending him back... but that goes without saying.

I wanted to get this started before bed. I'll be adding some pictures of fun, sparkly stuff tomorrow. You should, too, if you have them.

Post subject: Re: All You Need is Love
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2016, 21:51 

lab diamonds are actually more diamond than real diamonds.
you can take them to the extreme. more pure and such.
they're not even a rare mineral, as you are seemingly aware.
look at china creating lab superhumans while we are still stuck talking about "ethics".
since when did "we" care about ethics?

anyway, the best gems are the kind that look like outer space. really majestic. are there any that look cool to the naked eye? a lot of them only look ultra cool under special circumstances.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016, 01:24 

anyway, the best gems are the kind that look like outer space.

i know absolutely nothing about rocks. sounds cool, pics?

don't usually like rings very much. not sure why. do like nail rings, whatever iteration they be in, and also moebius rings, but that's more a fascination with moebius strips :)

lab-grown gems

breaking news, people selling artificially inflated product deny identical item's value; consumers stupid enough to buy their shit in the first place rally behind them

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016, 14:02 

MJRH wrote:
lab-grown gems

breaking news, people selling artificially inflated product deny identical item's value; consumers stupid enough to buy their shit in the first place rally behind them

Hah.

Yes, diamonds are forever a scam.

MJRH wrote:
don't usually like rings very much. not sure why. do like nail rings, whatever iteration they be in, and also moebius rings, but that's more a fascination with moebius strips :)

I've come round to rings. Although one of my two rings is regularly mistaken for a bandage and the other looks "chipped", as a student put it.

Now I feel naked without them, though--in a very real, existential sense of nude exposure and lack of comfort. Strange.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016, 14:51 

Funny you should mention outer space.

I think this is part of the allure of mined diamonds -- a rock with a potential history stretching back to the birth of our planet. Don't get me wrong; the industry is completely fucked, and I have committed to a laboratory diamond, but if some diamonds literally fell to earth, that's pretty cool.

While there are numerous alternatives, I was speaking with a jeweler a few weeks ago, and he mentioned that a lot of stones simply don't hold up to the kind of wear and tear you'd get by having them on your hand for (presumably) the rest of your life. Proper jewelry care is not something most people are known for, and all rings lose luster and even warp over time, exposed to decades of the elements, grime, our skin's natural oils, etc. Apparently I'm supposed to take my rings to a jeweler every year or so, and never expose them to the harsh cleaning solutions you'd see on a store shelf. Uh... I have never done that :oops:

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2016, 04:08 

Congratulations!

voltbird wrote:
he mentioned that a lot of stones simply don't hold up to the kind of wear and tear you'd get by having them on your hand for (presumably) the rest of your life...all rings lose luster and even warp over time, exposed to decades of the elements, grime, our skin's natural oils, etc.

Pretty sure that's a selling point in some aesthetic circles.

My practical side says function (warding off would-be suitors and unobtrusive design that goes with anything) over form in this case. Something simple and bland, Tiffany's princess cut. My hopeless romantic (is that redundant?) says fantasy over function, which also happens to be Tiffany's princess cut. The quietness and the proud look of it. Nothing very bad could happen to you with that ring on your finger. My ethical side says one exception is OK, if it's your only 'real' diamond purchase. After all, god knows how many children have been exploited for my late-night chocolate cravings. That is not to say that I don't buy fair trade chocolate whenever I have the opportunity.