It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 15:58

All times are UTC

Post subject: gluttony
PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 12:20 

a food thread, because as they say, easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

my daily breakfast, convenience store coffee with a splash of hazelnut artificial creamer and a dash of cinnamon and a camel wide. usually i smoke cheap generics so this is a special treat. cigarettes are a food group

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: gluttony
PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 12:39 

slowly becoming a glorified Instagram alternative

i'm not averse to this;
but for me, this is definitely another analogue for "wardrobe becoming rag pile"
but in this instance "healthy dietary intake exclusively formulated as potato based products"

maybe it's becoming too obvious- not pile of rags by desire...

i'll post some of my favourite grease dipped delights tomorrow.

PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 12:57 
engineer

Dudley, your breakfast is disgusting :D

PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 13:50 

rilu wrote:

I once shared a house with a guy who woke every morning to coffee and cigarettes, which he consumed in large quantities before touching any real food. Every damn morning.

People smoking before I'm even awake makes me distressed in some fundamental and inexpressible way.

PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 14:15 

I quit five years ago, and am still stunned I managed. I sometimes miss the concept of coffee with a cigarette but the physiological slate is finally clean enough that when I smell the smoke I'm more repelled than wistful.

As for my diet, no improvements. I went for my annual physical this month and doc says my cholesterol is on the higher side. Whatever. What's life without meat, cheese, eggs, butter...? Not a life worth living.

This has been my routine as of late:

Get home tired.
Open fridge, stare for a few minutes.
Abandon plans to cook a more involved dinner.
Fry up some tomato sauce with harissa and poach a few eggs.
Dump over Chinese takeout rice.

I'm accepting variations on this recipe.

PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 18:13 

^whoa, that sounds way, i don't know what, but i have to try it. it reminds me of one night when i came home with the munchies and ate tortilla chips + pb, or another time when i put both pb and nutella on a vessel of a banana. are there specific proportions?

ternlef wrote:
this is definitely another analogue for "wardrobe becoming rag pile"

rags and slop

rilu wrote:

that describes most of my meals

i used to smoke first thing after waking up, but now it's after i get through my morning routine before i leave for work. my ex-wife used to smoke in the middle of the night when she let the dog out, which is going harder than i ever could

PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 23:31 

It's basically a poor woman's shakshuka, a middle eastern dish. I'd serve it with a good crust of bread if I had that on hand, but we just have half loaf of grocery-brand Wondercrap. So, the takeout rice gets the star treatment instead.

PostPosted: 05 May 2016, 03:03 

i will try this and report back results

PostPosted: 05 May 2016, 07:12 

shakshuka is da bomb, as fun to make and eat as it is to say. i always have frozen hashbrowns on hand for such emergencies, voltbird, beats takeout rice imo. if you want a really lazy but similar eggy dish you can use salsa + any cheese over the tomatoes and feta, i love harissa but don't always have it to hand.

try the original recipe dudley it's rad. the nuttiness of the cumin, the smokiness of the paprika and the spiciness of the cayenne are best complemented by kreteks.

my own food journal: i just paired malt liquor + menthols for the first time the other night... whaddya know, two wrongs really can make a right

PostPosted: 05 May 2016, 23:09 

i just ate like 8 bowls of cereal, jesus, they must put meth in special k fruit and yogurt, that shit is delicious

PostPosted: 06 May 2016, 18:09 

every day on my lunch break, i drive home to walk my dog and this is what i "eat" for efficiency's sake. i throw milk, a banana, greek yogurt, and spinach in a blender and gulp down a green sludge as quickly as i can so that i can rush back to work

Attachment:
IMG_0857[1].JPG

it's surprisingly tolerable

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 06 May 2016, 18:23 

why do you have to tell us about these things

i really don't like being mean, especially on the internet

but this is the least interesting content ever

get an insta or a tumblr or something dude

PostPosted: 06 May 2016, 18:27 

duh

ennuie

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 07:24 

Chautauqua wrote:
why do you have to tell us about these things

i really don't like being mean, especially on the internet

but this is the least interesting content ever

get an insta or a tumblr or something dude

delete this.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 16:01 
engineer

^ why would anyone delete any of the posts?
besides, it's an interesting entry point for a discussion. which aspects of our daily lives are worth sharing and what kind of discourse they create, for which purpose, etc. This touches upon a recent (maybe not very successful) discussion in the general thread, when we talked about reasons we at all exchange information about what everyone is wearing.

but it also opens another interesting point (which i've just been talking about with a friend): would we react like this in real life too? if someone tells us what they've been eating, would we tell them: "why do you have to share this with me, i don't care what you've been drinking or eating or vomiting...". why is there a difference between the so-called real life and this internet one, which strangely emerges only if we don't know the other person so we can be unkind, even rude, but most of all just blunt.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 23:20 

hahaha what a funny thread

I guess eating disgusting/lazy food is cooler alternative to being one of those annoying quinoa kale gluten free health freaks or on the other end double choc dipped clogged artery cronut instagramming people (either of those things are so indulgent)

I personally want to eat (bland) like a monk, everyday for breakfast I eat two bricks of weetbix in soy milk, microwaved until its a soggy sludge. Its not particularly delicious or disgusting and its actually quite healthy

PostPosted: 08 May 2016, 02:20 

i like this thread but what the hell is instagram?

quinoa is delicious and kale is delicious and cronuts are delicious and non-allergenic dietary restrictions are goddamned stupid

i really want frosted shreddies rn actually

PostPosted: 08 May 2016, 20:39 

my old roommate from college randomly visited this weekend, and we were talking about cereal. i love cereal so much, i can't believe it's considered a breakfast food rather than dessert. but weetabix and shredded wheat naturally came up, i can't deal with those. never had warm weetabix though

took my friends out last night for dinner to introduce them to korean food. we'd realized that with a lot of culturally different foods, the process of eating is not so clear, there's a lot of stuff 'what am i supposed to do with this? i guess i'll just kind of burrito it?' i think maybe people here are culturally adventurous enough to have tried korean food by now but here's a rundown that i gave them and maybe someone might like to know here

-a lot of the food is seasoned strongly with the intent of being eaten simultaneously with rice because rice is cheaper and koreans were poor. so the solid foods, from main dishes and mini side dishes (often good just to cleanse the palatte) they bring out are usually eaten with a bite of rice. for lighter soups, rice is often dumped in, and for stews, the contents are usually spooned into the bowl and mashed into the rice
-korean's spicy is very different from mexican spicy and different from mustard/wasabi spicy. even if you don't like spicy foods, i think it's worth trying because to me it's not painful the way other hot foods can be.
-dont leave your chopsticks or spoon sticking in the rice bowl, that's symbolic of leaving food for the dead at funerals
-bori cha is the hot tea to drink
-bulgogi/kalbi is the easiest to try. kalbi jjim is equivalent to braised short ribs. dolsot bibim bab is probably the next. with bibim bab, just mash all the shit together. it's good with the red pepper paste they give you. there's some spicy pork and spicy squid dishes that are good if you like hotter foods. i really like the broiled mackeral, but it's got a strong fish flavor that some people don't enjoy
-kalbi tang is an easy beef soup to try. sullung tang is similar but more of that gelatinous ligament and sometimes tripe. there's a spicy beef soup too, yuk gae jang. i really like that.
-soft tofu stew might be the most accessible of spicy stews, then kimchi stew. dwenjang chigae is a more pungent, spicy stew version of miso soup, and cheonggukjang is even stronger.
-with korean bbq, you're supposed to take the leaf, put a bit of rice in it, some of the soybean paste, some garlic (cooked on the grill), and a chunk of meat in there and fold it all up. burrito it

PostPosted: 09 May 2016, 02:09 

If there's any hope in this thread, which I'm still uncertain of, I think thats a start in the right direction. It's been somewhat of a shame leaving Los Angeles and its bounty of excellent Korean food. I've yet to find anything here that comes close.

Are you Korean? If so, what do you particularly enjoy about bringing your friends who are otherwise unfamiliar with your culture's food? I grew up eating a fair bit of Norwegian cuisine, though neither of my parents really cook. Even still, I do feel something "special" when I take my friends who've never tried scandinavian food out to try lutefisk or smørrebrød. I don't think they ever really understand though; hell I'm uncertain why I bother.

Everyone loves aquavit though. That's at least reassuring

As for me, I mostly eat slightly seasoned rice and lentils. I'd rather spend my excess finances on other things.... though there's this bagel place out here I can't seem to go a week without. I think I'd ask for their lox bagel as my final meal if it ever came to that.

PostPosted: 09 May 2016, 17:52 

yes, i'm korean. my favorite thing? i hadn't really given that much thought. i do know that i never did it with any intent of sharing my culture, usually it's just something out of the ordinary to do. i really like the personal element of it, though. i find that a lot of food culture is engaging in exoticism or is fetishistic, so if i'm introducing it to them, it feels much more direct and authentic than if they had to do some google research and sought out korean food. sort of like providing a more human reference point. i had a friend introduce me to surinamese food, which you can't get anywhere in my area, and that was special to me.

then there's a lot of people and foodies that enjoy korean bbq and fried chicken and kalbi tacos, and there's a certain subsect of the gourmand culture that is dismissive of korean food for lack of providing a gourmet experience, which is all fine, but there's a classist appropriation element that i'm uncomfortable with. to me, food is essential, not unlike the essentiality of clothing mentioned in the other thread. people eat to live and show care through food, and so it feels wrong to dimiss food culture in a certain way, like 'you're not being alive the right way.' of course, there's no accounting for taste, it's good that people try new things, and i'm just happy to have a break from the usual sludge.

lutefisk seems intimidating, i'd definitely try it, though. and i love the last meal topic, it always changes for me, i'd have to think about that one