It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 06:28

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 09:02 

Re: herzog as existential thinker --- this lovely short film narrated by herzog is a too too lovely story about a plastic bag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuJ31bu01mM

i urge all to watch

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 14:17 

What I thought would be a quick google of Herzog turned into watching "Lessons of Darkness" and... the one about auctioneers in America. Following the trail of sidebar suggestions I ended up drowning 4-6am watching the Grizzly bear man documentary again (for the third time, the first two times happened sometime over the past four years all without ever finding the director). This led to a discussion with dad about oil drilling, mechanical engineering and the iraqi-kuwait conflict (which is something I really shouldn't have opened up... again).

Before finding Herzog I had spent a lot of time going through pretty much all of Yasujirō Ozu's content, which is great because I think Herzog's approach to film making is so similar to that of Ozu's. Albeit, the Ozu content I've been exposed to isn't so much a documentary like Herzog's stuff but the nature and pace of the story telling is very similar.

Here's a quick interlude where we find out if I survive my test at 1pm with 2hours sleep. If so, I'll start talking (hopefully not to myself) about Ozu and Herzog and why they're so captivating... even if i have nothing notepaded about Ozu's films.

oh and i want to talk about Woman in the Dune
AND MAYBE Andrei Rublev... or Stalker... because no one ever discusses those films?

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 15:41 
porter

ternlef wrote:
oh and i want to talk about Woman in the Dunes
AND MAYBE Andrei Rublev... or Stalker... because no one ever discusses those films?

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 20:40 

Wanna hear pointless trivia about Stalker? My dad used to drink beer with his friends after a solid workday in the factories at where they filmed the gate to the zone.

Also that whole industrial complex is a contemporary art gallery now with accompanying cafes and evening venues and was the hippest place to hang out in like 2013. Probably still is!

Here's some young punk being disrespectful to the great landmark several years ago:

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 01:52 
porter

I knew they had filmed some of that up your way but didn't realise what came of the places since. its not that the place i'm in is devoid of interesting locations to visit, but you're making me feel a bit nostalgic for the places i've not been to in a very long time.

one of the benefits of this location is a good deal of experimental film screenings coming through town, and there were a couple last as part of an andean experimental film series that I enjoyed in particular out of what was presented. unfortunately the 'radio belen' one I found on youtube doesn't have subs but I thought to link it anyway..

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 05:21 

four student film makers on a virtually non-existent budget shoot a film about a narcissistic serial killer who in between mercilessly brutal acts of murder spouts critiques on various aspects of culture. this shit is classic and highly recommended if studying film.

the set up is a small film / sound crew following this guy around as he commits murder. because it's actually recorded this way as well there are some fucking brilliant scenes that play with the dynamics of having individuals running film and sound. at times they are separated and what you see isn't what gets picked up on the microphone which makes for some very interesting cinema.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

i'm gonna go through this thread and catch up now

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 23:25 

We are like blind men lost in the streets of a big city. The streets lead to a goal, but we often return to the same places to get to where we want to be. I can see a few little streets here which, as it is now, are going nowhere. New combinations have to be arranged, then the whole will be clear, because one man cannot invent something that another cannot solve.

just watched the saragossa manuscript for the first time. bit reminiscent of borges, set to film, but with a much better sense of humor. and titties. highly recommended!

phpBB [video]

can anybody say if the same director's take on schulz, or any of his other work, is worth tracking down?

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2014, 22:47 
porter

phpBB [video]

bit on the music and the film here, and i was uncertain for a minute of which section to post this in, and decided to go with the somewhat less-utilised film section. a shame that it is. the film was apparently found in the vacated basement of a business in rochester, NY sometime in 2004. the decomposition of emulsion is an unpredictable sort of thing, and most of the things i've seen involving this process used to the effect seen here were bill morrisson's explorations in nitrocellulose stock that had been made watchable again via optical scanner and key-framing animation between the badly warped states. At least those were the most affecting ones (like the amazing Light Is Calling, probably my favourite thing of his..) Here the decomposition has left the reel still viewable with vibrant action as well as the colour.. and the soundtrack chosen by whoever uploaded it has a story of its own..

I've only recently realised this (thanks to Clayton, who makes my life an immensely richer experience and does not post here nearly enough) to be the work of the same Su Tissue that, only a few years prior to releasing this in 82, had been the singer of LA's incomparable Suburban Lawns.. And while I had very much enjoyed their work, the places this solo material goes is something else altogether..

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 02:30 

*deleted*

Last edited by omen on 11 Nov 2016, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 01:15 

Thread needs to live

been watching a whole bunch of film, mainly 30s-70s stuff
looping around Yasujiro Ozu, Ingmar Bergman, and most recently Mikio Naruse's stuff
I'm feeling a soon return to some Lynch and Tarvosky though... unless I become distracted again

also, fuck you and thank you whoever suggested Begotten, probably spent close to 4hours just rewinding scenes...
and wondering if the actor at the beginning who was gyrating while precariously holding the straight razor survived the scene...

Anyway

this is short and super dope, really picks up at 4minutes
phpBB [video]

was trying to think of something that'd go well with that scene... only holy diver came up
phpBB [video]

e: moosic

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015, 15:31 

More and more I've come across this "blood and soil" perception of land authority which often attempts to enmesh itself with the struggles of (historically oppressed) indigenous people.

I think this is a perverted understanding of indigenous claims, utilised towards some sort of myopic political agenda.

Even to suggest is a bit unsettling but what was instructive for me was the difference between what is parasitic, what is commensal, and then the relationship between the two concerned parties (local animal population and the land)
The assumption here is... we have some sort of quantifiable prerogative on what impacts and informs "the lands" values.

Sarah Grohnert's "Ever the Land"
Onto...
(our idol) Werner Herzog's "Where the Green Ants Dream"

It's also meaningful to add here that there is a intimate and active relationship between the indigenous people of New Zealand, Australia, and Canada (perhaps more, these were what were called to me) where they are all cross communicating in attempts to resolve their domestic issues. Interestingly enough; they are all facing the SAME domestic(?) challenges.

from Sergei Parajanov's "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors"

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 02:17 

ternlef wrote:
Interestingly enough; they are all facing the SAME domestic(?) challenges.

well, it makes sense: exact same culture doing the oppressing

shadows is a great film. i need to watch more stuff, i'm such a bum when it comes to that. the only thing i've watched in the last month was a single asterix film (not that that wasn't an excellent choice)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 23:28 

Pretty cool documentary about Mennonite Colonies in Mexico.

I couldn't get over how they all the men wore the same Dungarees all their life, in scaling sizes with a discrete white tag and the cross.
It was never examined in the Documentary.

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 18:22 

STATES OF UNDRESS
phpBB [video]

PostPosted: 28 May 2016, 18:15 

actor yukio mishima

phpBB [video]

btw, it seems that "a beautiful star" will be made into a movie soon.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 03:21 

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 21:01 

interesting you posted that film. The director, Majid Majidi, has made several others along the same lines that you should check out if you enjoyed it: Children of Heaven, and The Song of Sparrows.

❁ (◡‿◡)

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 21:04 

I've shared this elsewhere but found the superficial parallels interesting. Yet another King Lear. I haven't watched it yet, but I am curious about how it will compare to less direct adaptations

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

phpBB [video]

❁ (◡‿◡)

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 22:42 

for a long time, for no particular reason other than historical trauma, i've avoided Iranian cinema,
watching colors of paradise added at least one other reason not to.
i'll be watching his other films (and more Iranian films in general).