It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 20:24

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2013, 22:54 

Looking for new thread title Laszlo. Thanks dude.

The Cinema thread is for films, movies and anything that moves. Tags for video content are [video]youtube link[/video] - for example:

phpBB [video]

(vimeo and others also supported)

Thanks MJRH for the blatant steal.

Discussion welcome, if you are just going to post links and run, a little note about the title and/or director would go a long way in the future, given the nature of youtube takedowns.

Sort of recent to start us off:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

And to start the discussion, I'm interested in the process of editing (my job).

Any writing on the subject worth reading?

Last edited by Rayuela on 04 Jun 2013, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2013, 23:55 
french crew

"The most beautiful fraud in the world" (another Godard quip).

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 00:57 

I stumbled upon one of my favourite films just now, which has been uploaded in it's entirety (with english subtitles) on youtube.

"Pastoral: To die in the country" by Shûji Terayama (original title: Den-en ni shisu), a cinematic masterpiece from 1974. Normally I would refrain from posting an entire movie, but since this gem is pretty much impossible to find if you're not part of a private tracker - and I think more people should see this one - I'll link it here. If you're not comfortable watching a full movie like this, and you manage to find it in higher quality, do buy, rent or download it, because I believe a lot of you would enjoy it as much as I did. It's sad, beautiful, well written and just generally a great film.

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 01:43 
porter

will be watching this tonight, cheers.
I owe this thread a proper post and thank the lot of you for getting things going..

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 07:10 

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 05:32 

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 05:47 

phpBB [video]

rick didn't have anything to do with this movie, but....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 05:48 
porter

and here i was, thinking myself acquainted with all of herzog's output, going to week-long retrospectives of his stuff with him there, in person, every single night for a fucking week.. only to have you post something i've never come across before. well played sir! i wonder how herzog would take haneke's recent statement that directors who enjoy watching their early work "must be retarded"

i really owe this thread more of a proper post, and doubly so now with the mensur documentary above - what is the name of the piece this comes from, c? how did you stumble across that at all? you know i've an obsession with mensur so far as to buy rusty old korbschlagers off of ebay and wrestle with the nightmare that is getting them through customs ..
ImageImage

redacted: thats a really disturbing hugo weaving right there.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 07:14 

i think i had a picture of the armor or one of the duelists saved, and finally just reverse searched it. found some pics, found the documentary. hilariously, i shared it with a german i know, and, i think you suggested it was italian commentary, but he suggested spanish? my second language is latin, i have no idea man.
i don't know about ternlef, but i found that documentary through a friend who i told to join us. i'm not sure if he has.
btw, in the image, that's not hugo weaving, that's guy pearce. weaving is in the youtube preview shot though, along with terence stamp.

rick DEFINITELY owes a debt to drag make up tho
i prefer it this way. i like make up as war paint.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 11:31 

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 18:23 
porter

C, a good friend does animation breakdown at cinefamily - something you should make some effort in being on hand for in the near future. one of the programs so far has involved soviet animation/pilot/soyuzmultfilm including a wealth of drawn/stop-motion/clay/cutout animation these guys were putting out in the 70s, the 80s and the early 90s even. There has also been some great stuff coming out of the states, such as chris sullivan's 'Consuming Spirits', which is probably my animation highlight of the past several years..

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 23:41 

Many of you will have seen this already, but just in case you haven't - Begotten, by Elias Merhige (1990)

I can't actually recommend it... but you might put yourself through the ordeal of it... or not... if you haven't done so yet then there's still time to escape... what has been seen cannot be unseen! :D :D :D

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 23:53 

Ah, so far behind, been absent.

phpBB [video]

There is a section of this, which talks about being unable to be truly happy anywhere apart from "home".

My father is an Irish born English/German man with no accent, who spent his happiest years (before retirement) in Belgium. I am an English man, born in Belgium, who spent a large proportion of his life claiming to be European. Neither of us can identify a place that we call home. The idea struck me as both very wrong (I have nowhere I can call home) and completely correct (if I could I would be happier).

btw this is my upload, I'd rather not but there wasn't another link to her work, will take it down if it goes against forum manners. Added subtitles.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 23:29 

This seems to have died a bit.

To add to it

phpBB [video]

one of the fucking greats, a favourite.

Also, Spring Breakers is fantastic in my view, very interested in general opinions of the piece here.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 22:50 

phpBB [video]

Fun piece, again a youtube link so will take it down if there are any issues.

Will write a litte more about it but for now a link http://illuminatedlantern.com/movies/sp ... h-the.html

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 04:49 

dunno if begotten is an ordeal, wasn't any harder to get through than, say, dreyer's joan, the modern sensibility bucking against the unfamiliar silence. incredibly visual due to the filmmaking process, almost to the point where the washed-out images, despite being lo-fi and fuzzy and indistinct, acquire an almost tactile presence. an incredibly powerful film, but no, not exactly something to watch with the family yearly at christmas. always meant to look into the creation-myth side of it with all the attendant symbology but never got round to it.

have y'all seen his shadow of the vampire? i looove that film and what it has to say about, well, film, but it seems to've garnered mixed reviews. the last 15 minutes or so are some of the most spellbinding in cinema.

hey now i know everybody loves this lady... this one is a short'un.

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 02:38 

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2013, 04:08 

^ docus, i made it to 3:45 and i couldn't take it anymore...seriously, what is the point of that film...

anyway,

One of my favorite movies of all time.

[image]http://www.averagemarrieddad.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/fight-club-5001.jpg[/image]
full movie: http://www.putlocker.com/file/B82DB64215D664B6

"We're consumers. We are by-products of a lifestyle obsession. Murder, crime, poverty, these things don't concern me. What concerns me are celebrity magazines, television with 500 channels, some guy's name on my underwear." - Tyler Durden

We're all wrapped up with egotistical things/cultural values, career, having enough money, meeting a mortgage, getting a new car, getting a new clothes or furniture so we can be 'complete'. We don't get into the habit of standing back and looking at our lives and saying, Is this all?

The other place is evolving its internal culture that people have to buy certain things to be 'respectful', or have to get approval from certain people to be accepted. from what I see, it's just another business playground where certain people can have fun manipulating others to buy certain things - just like the culture we live in, isn't it? What these ads and movies with cash-burning, fast cars, degrading women, are implying? Media makes people feel not good about themselves and america has become a Persian bazaar of self-help (Tuesday with Morrie).

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 06:04 
porter

so, some good news on a film that many of us have been eagerly anticipating for a number of years now, and though the director as well as one of the remaining authors of the source material have both passed away, it now seems the film's completion is imminent. a test screening had recently taken place with only some parts of sound post-production missing and the final work tentatively scheduled for august premiere.

phpBB [video]

presently in touch with a couple of folks over at lenfilm in an attempt to get some US distribution going (at a minimum getting a print for a few screenings in los angeles, but its reasonable to assume that more could happen along the way..) so here is to finally getting to see this.

some of the folks who have seen the film thus far have drawn parallels between it and German's preceding film, Khrustalyov, my car as well as with tarkovsky's Andrey Rublev. i think klang gushed about this one elsewhere a while back so i'm sure he'll be happy to know of its impending completion and release- assuming he hasn't somehow managed to get in on an advanced screening.

Another thing is that I've a copy of leviathan and, in addition to doing something of a writeup that i've long promised, there is a very real possibility of sharing the film itself, if some of you are interested in downloading the nearly 4 gigs worth of it..

anyhow..more later

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 09:56 

*deleted*

Last edited by omen on 11 Nov 2016, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.